google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Remember

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Remember

A long, long time ago...
I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And, maybe, they'd be happy for a while.

But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver.
Bad news on the doorstep;
I couldn't take one more step.

I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride,
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died

- American Pie by Don McLean.

At around 1:05 AM on the morning of February 3rd, 1959 - fifty years ago nearly to the moment - a plane carrying four men crashed in a dark Iowa cornfield. No one saw or heard the crash, and it did not make front page news in many cities. I doubt anyone at the time, even the families involved, realized that people fifty years later would mourn the losses of that day.


CHARLES HARDIN HOLLEY, AKA BUDDY HOLLY, AGE 22

Photobucket

Photobucket


RICHARD STEVEN VALENZUELA AKA RITCHIE VALENS, AGE 17

Photobucket

Photobucket

J.P. RICHARDSON, AKA THE BIG BOPPER, AGE 28

Photobucket

Photobucket

(PILOT) ROGER PETERSON, AGE 21

Photobucket

Photobucket

Rest in peace gentlemen. Your music lives on.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Sybil said...

Thanks Dan for putting in the pictures. I was listning to the radio in bed last night (early morning !!) and we they were speaking about the even and playing that exact tune..and I just couldn't bring to mind their faces...of course the instant I saw them I "saw" them again just as they were all these years ago,,
Thanks again
. How is the work search going no news of that situation lately ?
Love Sybil x

Bridgett said...

So you've actually been to all these graves?

How amazing.

Fifty years...I just can't believe that.
I've watched La Bamba so many times....

XOXOX