google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Selection Sunday

Search This Blog

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Selection Sunday

Hot dog!



Both Marquette and UW made it into the NCAA tourney. There wasn't much doubt about Marquette (#6 seed; will face Utah State) but after their six game slide I was worried about the Badgers. They got in though, taking a #12 seed and extending their string of NCAA appearances to eleven. They'll face Florida State in the opening round.

Also thanks to Beth and Ken, who let me know that the FDIC acts to keep the bank solvent rather than simply stepping in after the fact to reimburse the funds. A good thing too, as a week's delay in getting to our accounts would be disastrous for us.

However, I will point out that PRIOR to the announcement - perhaps in anticipation of the news, or because of the lack of capital the government mentions - my bank posted signs at my branch capping the daily limit on most withdrawals and requiring a three day notice for anything over a couple thousand. Maybe its just a new policy unrelated to anything, but if so it's a bad piece of timing.

I'm sure it's not the case here, but is there any example of an instituiton not folding, but being so on close to the abyss that funds are unavailable with the FDIC unable to step in because it is still in business?

* * * *

One last point about the Time Warner deal. If I had gone ahead and cut services as I wanted to I would have wound up paying more than I do now. Limiting my phone plan or removing the DVR would have knocked me off the promotional rate and put me at some ridiculous ala carte cost.

Trust me, if I could have changed my phone to limited long distance or trimmed a few cable channels in exchange for a smaller bill, it'd be done by now.

Still, on their worst day,they're still 1000 times better than AT&T.

2 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Glad to be of service. Looking forward to Thursday and the start of the tournament.

Bridgett said...

I wish Time Warner was an option for us.

WVU lost. Boo!