google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Swine Flu Forces Closure of Milwaukee Public Schools

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Swine Flu Forces Closure of Milwaukee Public Schools



A friend of ours just got an automated call from MPS saying her daughter's school was "closed until further notice". According to the Milwaukee Journal, four schools have been ordered closed because of swine flu, with two confirmed cases in the city and a third in the state. Details are sketchy, but I'm sure it will headline the paper tomorrow.

I don't think that the swine flu is the end of the world, or a guaranteed repeat of the 1918 Influenza horror, but it's going to cause some damage before it's through. Not only is there a case at a school down the block from my house, but at the school our friend's daughter attends. Lovely news. The stomach illness that took me, Lisa, and YaYa out for part of last week was awful enough; I can't imagine getting hit by that strain.

Let's hope for the best, and a quick recovery for those stricken with the illness.

3 comments:

jeanne said...

The news is different on every TV stations. Tonight on 6 I heard of the 4 closings, because of posible flu symptoms but none were confirmed yet...So who knows. I too don't think that the swine flue is the end of the world just like the bird flu. Seems to be a lot of hype...

Beth said...

"The stomach illness that took me, Lisa, and YaYa out for part of last week was awful enough; I can't imagine getting hit by that strain."

I know you probably already know this, but this influenza isn't an intestinal virus, i.e., the "stomach flu." This is a respiratory illness that can really be rough on the young and on the elderly. Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know. :)

Bridgett said...

All influenza is respiratory in nature.

I blogged about this on my Holistic journal...honestly, well, I'll just keep my opinion to myself this time around.

XOXO