google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Double Star by Robert Heinlien

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Double Star by Robert Heinlien



One of these days I need to check out some later Heinlein, circa the 1980's, just to see what it's like, because the old stuff is going to make me cry - and not tears of joy.

Double Star
is the Hugo Award winning novel about a kidnapped politician of the far future who is temporarily replaced by a down and out actor. That's pretty much the plot right there.

It's not a bad read, and I enjoyed 70% of it while I read it, but Hugo Award winning??? Was every other writer on vacation that year or what?

Here's the deal. Forget the slightly dated sci-fi concepts, as that's unavoidable. I don't deduct points for that. However, I found the main character of the actor a pompous, unloveable twit that needed a good wallop between the eyes.

I also found Heinlein's treatment of women ghastly outdated and hypocritical. It's weird - the guy has women in positions of power or responsibiltiy, and then he has them act like Victorian women suffering from the vapors.

The secretary is in love with her boss (natch! How come that never happened to me?) Throughout the book sexism reigns. Oh nellie, don't you dare use improper language around a lady and please sir - ignore her s-s-s-stammer whenever she's upset. Why, can't you see her lips are quivering from the emotional toll of being an adult? It's not her fault she doesn't have a penis.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

2 comments:

Bridgett said...

Yea, this sounds pretty...awful. LOL

Thanks for the review...I ALWAYS love reading your reviews.

XOXO

Astaryth said...

I am a huge Heinlien fan.... in fact, I would consider him one of my favorite authors. With that in mind,I have to say that I still wouldn't recommend Double Star to anyone. I have read it (because I have read basically everything the man has written LOL!), but it isn't one that I will probably ever re-read. Definitely try some of his other books!