google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The Seance by John Harwood

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Seance by John Harwood

For much of its length, I was convinced The Seance was one of the best books I'd read in years.

The Seance centers around Wraxford Hall, an abandoned mansion in 19th century England. Many years ago Nell Wraxford fled the mansion and disappeared, leaving behind rumors that she murdered her own infant daughter. Now, a generation later, distant relative Constance Langton has inherited the house. Constance, who has some history of psychic experiences, agrees to have Wraxford Hall examined by professional researchers. But something in Nell's diaries leads her to fear something more than just the proverbial bump in the night.

As I said, for most of the novel the book is superb. Written in different voices, the transitions are seamless and avoid sounding anachronistic. Despite rehashing every B movie staple of Hollywood horror, Harwood manages to integrate it all into a sharp, intelligent and highly entertaining example of the Gothic genre.

And then it all falls apart. I am not sure, even now, if the atrocious finale truly damages the book as much as I believe. It's possible I'm just bitter when I think of how Harwood stood on the precipice of greatness . . . and flinched.

I still recommend highly recommend this book.

1 comment:

Bridgett said...

Okay, ya gotta tell me how it ends. Or do you think I should just read it? :)