google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Who's Playing Summerfest - July 1st

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Who's Playing Summerfest - July 1st

Today Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson are co-headling at Summerfest, and that's about all you need to know. I'm not a big Dylan fan. I'm not even a casual Dylan fan, but I can't help but acknowledge his status as an icon and seeing him in concert would be something to tell the grandkids. Plus he saw Buddy Holly in person and loved the guy, and for that I heart him.

As far as Willie Nelson, he's always been a favorite of my Mom, to the point where I remember being taken to see Willie in Honeysuckle Rose in 1980, when I was all of six years old. I think she also took me to one of his concerts, although I was too young then and she's too old now (j/k) to remember for sure. But we saw Kenny Rogers back in those early years of mine, so it doesn't seem unlikely. I know my Dad met the guy in person during his years as a hotel night auditor.

As long as we're on the subject, always thought it was odd that my Mom, who is top to bottom a Midwestern, law abiding and conservative woman, would adore a long haired, pot smoking, gravel voiced singer. Hell, the guy claims to have smoked pot on the roof of the White House. I don't see how that jibes with the woman I know, since even I think less of him for that. Oh, I think pot should be legal, but as long as it isn't it was disrespectful to do it at the White House. In my opinion, any and all crimes commited there should originate in the Oval Office.

What can I say, I'm a traditionalist.

3 comments:

jeanne said...

We couldn't get in to see the headling show at Summerfest. But, my husband enjoys Willie Nelson, like you and your Mom, I have no idea as to why. I can take him or leave him (Willie Nelson that is).

Beth said...

I'm also not a Dylan fan, but I saw him several years ago. The opening band was the Brian Setzer Orchestra, and that's who I wanted to see, but of course I stuck around for Dylan! Turned out he put on an excellent show, and I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't run out and buy any CDs, but I had to give him credit for being a consummate performer.

Bridgett said...

Diehard Dylan fan here. :)
I saw him at Woodstock '94.
Have to confess though...he's not the greatest live performer. LOL

XOXO