google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Coraline 3D

Search This Blog

Friday, August 14, 2009

Coraline 3D

Well, you know what? I wanted to post this *prior* to that brief post about our 3D party, but what the hey, here it is.

Coraline is a film based on a young adult novel by a favorite author of mine, Neil Gaiman. YaYa finished the book herself sometime last year, an impressive feat for someone her age. Frankly I doubted her, but sure enough, she could recite the plot details prior to seeing the film.

A stop-motion animated film shot in 3D, it tells the story of a young girl who moves with her family to a triplex in the country. Loved but largely ignored by her distracted parents, Coraline soon discovers a mirror universe behind a small door in her apartment.

In that seemingly perfect land her Mom and Dad exist as loving and attentive parents who dote on her every wish. One small problem: they have buttons in place of eyes.

Well, two small problems actually. They also want to keep Coraline forever - and they have her buttons ready and waiting.

I liked the film and was genuinely entertained, but there are some frightening aspects to this film. While they advance the plot and are integral to it, I think Gaiman has a bad habit of pushing the boundaries of violence and fear in children's literature.

Still, well worth seeing - but I would restrict most viewing to those ten and older.

3.0 out of 4

2 comments:

Astaryth said...

N. Gaiman is one of my favorites also. The hubs and I saw this in the theatre, and I was glad we did. I hadn't seen a 3D movie in years, but it was great. It used 3D, but didn't make it a focus, like with stuff jumping out at you. We both LOVED it. And, yes, I bought it on DVD when it came out ;p

It is really great, but I agree with some of the themes being a little heavy. When friends with kids asked me, I told them they should watch it first and THEN decide it their kid was ready for it.

Did you see that The Graveyard book took the hugo this year? I'm hoping they'll do a movie of that one too!

Bridgett said...

I haven't seen this, or read the book even. But you're not the first person who told me it was a little scary for children.

I'll probably hold off on it for awhile with my duo.

I'm not sure why though...they watch Jurassic Park all the time though and that doesn't seem to bother them at all. LOL

XOXO