google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Ted Kennedy, Dead at 77

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ted Kennedy, Dead at 77



I returned home from a camping trip today to discover that Ted Kennedy had passed away of cancer at 77. The news was expected and Ted lived a long life, so I'd imagine his family was prepared for the loss, but all the same my sympathy to them on his death.

In the wake of his passing I dread the next week of political grandstanding. In the media, on the Hill, and in blogdom he will be eulogized, crocodile tears will spill, and a man who spent his life immersed in a modern mythology will be interned to the sound of the same tales.

* * * *

You know, I actually had a correspondence with Senator Kennedy around Christmas of 1983. My Mom had written him on my behalf, stating my adoration of JFK. In response came what I'm sure was an oft-recited reply, along with several items of JFK memorabilia.

(Dave Powers, a longtime friend of JFK, did him one better. Powers sent me a personal letter along with 8X10 Black and White photos of the President and actual magazines from his Presidency)

It must have been hard for Ted by the time my letter arrived. There he was a twenty year veteran in the Senate, and most people - even a boy in Wisconsin - thought of him only in terms of his genetic connection to his brothers.

Sad really, but let's also be realistic: Ted got his job because of his name and he remained in the Senate 40 years because of the same (would anyone but a Kennedy have politically survived Chappaquiddick?).

If, in the end, he will be remembered primarily for his family, it seems almost fitting.

* * *

Since I began this post I've caught wind of two articles predictably urging the passing of health insurance reform bills in his honor. "Do it For Ted!" is one headline, opportunistically jumping on the perception that Kennedy was a champion of universal health care.

Not so fast. He like to talk a lot about the subject, and he did make efforts to have various programs passed, but I've heard doubts about his committment to the idea. I'm not quoting a Republican, but rather Jimmy Carter.

Three years before their dust-up in the '80 election Carter grew frustrated and resentful of Kennedy. It seems - and I'm referencing Carter's own autobiography here - that the Congress was closer than ever to passing health insurance reform and initiating universal coverage when Kennedy hit the brakes. He would not support the bill, nor would he encourage others to do so.

It was not HIS bill, you see, and it was important, ever so important, that Kennedy have his name associated with any such reform. He backed away from the bill, and it died a quiet death.


* * * *

This has gone on too long already. Regardless of his politics (which I detest), and some of his highly questionable personal actions, I wish his soul rest. Goodnight Senator, and may God bless.

2 comments:

Bridgett said...

I think it's sad he died so quickly following his sister's death.

XOXO

jeanne said...

I'm surprised you liked JFK, surprises never end.

I wish Ted to be at peace, he wasn't my favorite and I agree no one else would have survived Chappaquiddick, and to live without any jail time....