google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Alice in Chains - Sept 20th

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Alice in Chains - Sept 20th

This past Sunday I saw the resurgent Alice in Chains at the Eagles Ballroom here in Milwaukee.



I know some fans view the William Duvall era an affront to the memory of Layne Staley and classic AIC, but I disagree. I first saw this lineup at an acoustic show here in '07, and while Layne will always be the king, Will is a legit talent. Staley was then. Duvall is now. I wish Staley was still walking the earth, but life goes on for the rest of us.



Their set opened with Rain When I Die. The moment that dark, unrepentant dirge thundered out from the stage . . . man, it was the '90's all over again, and F any lead singer controversy. Alice in Chains was present and accounted for, and every bit as hard as ever.



The venue was packed with a predominantly male crowd between 21-40 years old.



By the second song a mosh pit had formed and some folks were crowd surfing. I tapped my buddy, nodded to the frenzy at the foot of the stage, and said "C'mon, let's go!". He laughed and we stayed put.



The highlights of the evening, for me, were Angry Chair and Would? . Check my Brain, their new single, didn't make an impression on me one way or another in concert. Driving home today, however, I heard it on the radio, instantly recognized it as AIC, and proclaimed it damn good.









A great concert. I've seen AIC twice now; I look forward to the hat trick.

2 comments:

Bridgett said...

Definitely a guy's band. LOL

Bernadette said...

Awesome!
they're playing the national in richmond soon!
...awww...no mosh pit?! :) I don't think I could these days.