google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Push

Search This Blog

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Push

I wasn't expecting a whole lot when I rented this movie. I was just looking for a mindless "boy movie", one that didn't feature crying women or cancer stricken puppies. Mission accomplished. (I think some of the women still shed tears, but whatever).

What threw me for a loop was how much I enjoyed it.

Modern day Hong Kong has become a secret Mecca for displaced mutants. Some have the ability to move objects with their minds, some can see the future, and some can 'sniff' out their own kind. All all hunted by a secret U.S. agency, but the tables are turning: a mutant has escaped the agency and fled to join a ragtag group of her own kind. She may be the secret to guaranteeing all their freedom, but the agency wants her back - at all costs.

No, this ain't Casablanca, but the setting is wonderful, the characters are interesting and work well together, and there's a decent amount of suspense in the plot.

I don't like that it leaves the door WIDE open for a sequel (I hate when movies do that), and the movie never explains why these mutants haven't dominated the world. I mean literally dominate the world and establish their own empire over the course of history. Who could have stopped them?

Anyhow, a good flick.

3.0 out of 4.

3 comments:

The Lam said...

This movie was better than expected, although, I wasn't expecting much!

Joann said...

Never heard of it! But then I'm so NOT a movie person!! LOL!!

Bridgett said...

I can't say I've heard of it...but is that Dakota Fanning?

Boy, her range of movies is really expanding.