google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The Resort by Bentley Little

Search This Blog

Friday, November 13, 2009

The Resort by Bentley Little



Bentley Little is a popular author of paperback horror novels, and I've seen his work on the shelves many times. I was never tempted to pick one up, but changed my mind for The Resort. The verdict? Not great, but good.

The Resort is just that, an upscale resort and spa slapped down in the middle of the southwest desert. Our family of protagonists lands a nice, off-season deal on a five day stay. What was intended as a dream vacation quickly goes haywire.

The resort is haunted, brutally controlled by a malevalent spirit that forces the guests into participating in bloody sporting matches, horrific BSDM performances, and the like.

It's kind of like The Shining, had Stephen King had decided to tint his hotel with a sadistic sexual obsession.

That's not to say I didn't like the book. By and large it was a good read and quite enjoyable, especially the first third as the terror began to build. I didn't like the ending, which was quick and forced and altogether a bummer.

I'm not sure I'll read more of Little's books, but I don't regret grabbing this one.

2.4 out of 4.

1 comment:

Bridgett said...

Although I haven't read this particular Little book, I've read several others. I gave him a chance...but I never was a huge fan.

All of his books, from what I can tell, must have lame endings. And no matter how good the meat of the story is, if you have a pointless, asinine ending...it ruins everything.

Thanks for proving my opinion of this author is a valid one. :D