google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: I Love You, Man

Search This Blog

Sunday, December 13, 2009

I Love You, Man



"Jesus," Lisa said. "It's like they made a movie about you!"

Not true, I countered. Yes, "I Love you Man!" features a protagonist who is more comfortable among women than men, who hangs out at home with his lady rather than goes out with the boys, who doesn't drink often, and who.

But, I countered, unlike him I do have male friends, and rattled off a list.

"But you don't go hang out with them," Lisa said, "That's why your All-Star party is so important to you. It's the one time a year you do the guy thing."

"But that's my choice," I said. "It's different."

And so it is. Later in the film, however, it's revealed that the main character often slips into a cadence that resembles an Irish lilt. Lisa roared.

"That is SO YOU!"

I'll give her that. For some reason, I have developed a verbal tic where I slip into the same speech pattern. It's nuts, and I've been raked over the coals for it.

Anywho . . .

The great Paul Rudd plays Peter Klaven, all around nice guy without any male friends, and at the urging of his fiance he goes in search of a buddy to be the best man at his wedding. He finds him in the form of Sydney Fife, played by Jason Segal, and the two hit it off. Too well, as a matter of fact, because his fiance soon gets jealous. Will Klaven have keep his friend and his wife? Or will he have to choose between them both?

I thought this was a very good movie, and very funny at times. Segal is a little too laid back for the role, IMO, as you'd think it would take a complete extrovert to draw Klaven out, and not merely a more masculine introvert. There was also, as his fiance points out, a degree of awkward sexual tension between the two that seemed out of place at best.

Small potatoes really. An enjoyable film, and a 3.1 out of 4.

2 comments:

Bridgett said...

I love Jason Segal. I think he's hilarious.

I'll have to watch this.

Thanks for the review!

Joann said...

Thanks, maybe I'll check it out!!