google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Mid November on FB

Search This Blog

Friday, December 31, 2010

Mid November on FB

Nov 13th

Just finished watching the new "Nightmare on Elm Street". It was pretty good, but I'm not a fan of the new Nancy, or the humorless Freddy. The worst part? The preschool picture, w/ all the kids in the ancient outfits? It was dated *1994*. I was wearing flannel and mourning Kurt when those buggers were being potty trained. Ugh.


"The Hairy Hands is a ghost story/legend that built up around a stretch of road in Dartmoor, United Kingdom, which was purported to have seen an unusually high number of motor vehicle accidents during the early 20th century." - Wikipedia (after researching a scary story I read in one of YaYa's books)

Wisconsin destroyed Indiana on the gridiron, scoring 83 points. Wow.

Nov 14th

I just finished Towers of Midnight, the 13th book in the Wheel of Time series. As expected, it's a well written, engaging storyline populated with characters you know better than you know yourself (and small wonder, unless you've written 13 autobiographies of 1000 pgs each). The sun has begun to set upon the Third Age; Tarmon Gai’don is near. May the Light preserve us all.

Today is my parent's 40th wedding anniversary. Congratulations to them, and may they enjoy 25 more together!






Today we celebrated Meadow's birthday (our friend Chris' daughter) Here's a pic of her younger sister (aka Smiley's bride) giving her beau a kiss, and of a cake we had here.




Later YaYa went to a sleepover party for Meadow, where she had her hair done.





Well, this means poop over diddly to anyone else, but I just discovered (via the magic of the wiki) that a series of books I read in my childhood were penned by a pseudonym of none other than Eisner winning writer Peter David. It's good to know I was drawn to the good schtuff even in my youth.

I can barely say this w/out cringing in embarrassment, but it was the Photon series, the 'backstory' to the Photon lazer tag game. The series ran for 5-6 young adult novels around the time I'd have been in middle school.

The bad? I didn't land (yet another) job I'd applied for, making me quite grumpy for a minute. Then, a small burst of good news. The Journal-Sentinel has asked me to do a holiday column, w/ the editor stating that "From previous columns of yours, I think you could do one with the right feel, be broad enough to appeal to all readers, and also steer clear of politics." So there's a coupla bucks in my pocket.
Here's a pic of LuLu and a 100 piece jigsaw puzzle she completed today:

And here's a picture of Ginger following her dance class (11-15)


No comments: