google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Five Movies

Search This Blog

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Five Movies


 The Five Year Engagement with Jason Segal and Emily Blunt. It was funny and sweet while at the same time showing relationship problems in a realistic light; Segal can craft a quality script. However, I would say that the last half hour was Hollywood tripe - in the real world the relationship would have ended where it temp. did in the film. Lisa disagreed and liked it start to finish. I grade this romcom a B+


Casa de mi Padre is a spanish language spoof by Will Ferrell that treads too carefully down the middle; too little comedy to make it worth your while for laughs, not enough dramatic substance to flesh out what what had the makings of a decent story. I'm glad I rented it, but I'm equally glad I didn't pay to see it in the theaters. Grade: C-


I found Intruders to be a genuinely frightening and well done Boogeyman tale. It's the story of two children, separated by language and geography (the boy in Spain, the girl in the UK) who write a story about a figure they call Hollowface, who then enters their world to terrorize them. Lisa was not as enamored of the film as I was, but I thought it was intelligent and, at the very least, certainly well filmed. [Note the brief but intrusive intervention of the Nanny State once NHS is involved; it made me ill]. Grade: B



The worse thing about The Corridor is that one of the actors looks like Bradley Cooper's slightly less attractive brother, and another sports a fake bald head that looks like it was crafted with Elmer's Glue and yarn in my kids Kindergarten class. Beyond that, the movie was OK. Nothing earth-shattering or original: some buddies on a camping trip find an alien 'corridor' in the woods, with predictable results. The bulk of the movie, like I said, was OK, but the opening sequence, where one character has gone nuts and assaults the others over the corpse of his mother, was damn engaging. Grade: C+


I also watched "Ted" one morning. It's ridiculous and low-brow, vulgar and devoid of any plot points you haven't seen 1000x before (well, maybe not the teddy bear on cashier sex; that was new). My verdict? Funny as hell. I LOL'd time and again and had tears streaming down my face. I didn't wet my pants laughing, but that's probably just because I was dehydrated. Grade: A

No comments: