google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Thanksgiving Day 2012

Search This Blog

Monday, December 3, 2012

Thanksgiving Day 2012


Thanksgiving 2012 began with a quintessential cultural event: Lisa and the kids sat down to watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade on TV. 

[Ginger] excited to finally see Santa as we watch the Macy's parade on TV! - Facebook post



             On his own accord  [Smiley] came down for Thanksgiving lunch in clean jeans and a crisp white button down shirt, cuff-links and all. Looking sharp my man!  - Facebook Post

Last year we spent Thanksgiving at a buffet, and chronicled it here; it was a success, but there was enough of a downside (crowds, lack of ‘family time’ at the table, etc) that we didn't want to repeat that particular experiment. We still wanted to go out, but this time chose a laid back, lunch hour meal at a local Denny’s.




It went surprisingly well. While only I had turkey, the kids abided by my mandate that they avoid pizza and chose decent meals. The conversation was spirited and friendly, and it was generally just a feel good/warm and fuzzy day.  The weather co-operated too, and I think it was warmer on Thanksgiving than it had been on Easter!

Later, Lisa went off to work and I took the kids over to my parent’s place for dinner, where we enjoyed all the standard fixings. (Smiley, in an honest but overly blunt assessment, loudly declared the turkey “too dry” and refused to eat more than a bite).  I tried a first there that day: sweet potato pie. The verdict? Yum.

Afterwards, the kids were divvied up between the grandparent’s and I (gasp!) went shopping. 

Against my better judgement I went to Kmart for their pre-Black Friday deals. Got a couple nice things for the kids, but waited in line for well over an hour at the register.  - Facebook post

Before I  went to the store though I delivered some leftovers to my 91 year old Aunt Mabel, who I was pleased to see was in great health and spirits, but I screwed up; my Mom had given me two boxes, one with massive amounts of food for my family, and one with a dainty plate for Aunt Mabel. Guess which one I mistakenly left with her? :)

Once Lisa came home we had the night to ourselves. I don’t recall us doing anything special that evening (I think we simply began watching Season 1 of American Horror Story on Netflix)  but it was great to alone, just the two of us.

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving tool!

No comments: