google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Firestorm #17 and the Day my Grandpa Died

Search This Blog

Sunday, August 25, 2019

Firestorm #17 and the Day my Grandpa Died

On the day my grandpa died in 1983, a family member - their identity long lost to memory - bought a handful of comic books and brought them to our house in a thoughtful effort to distract me from my grief. Yesterday, thumbing through the dollar bin at the comic store with Junie,  this cover triggered a long lost memory. As I flipped through the book, the memory was confirmed; this issue of Firestorm was one of the books from that awful day. I'm happy to own a copy again - and under much better circumstances.







update: (from my sister Katie)  

Auntie Dolores had her daughters bring comic books and food from the open pantry they owned for us. Auntie Dolores watched us while mom and grandma went to take care of grandpa’s needs.