google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Lauren's First Week - Saturday

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Lauren's First Week - Saturday

Saturday started with a bang. Parker couldn't put weight on his leg and was crying in pain. Overnight the scraped knee - this piddly diddly scrape - had become infected and swollen his knee.

Crap, and on my watch too.

So we loaded him up to piggy-back Lauren's appointment. This time Lis went too, in part because she is very close to Parker and sometimes the boy all but refuses to acknowledge I'm alive. Largely however, she was just p.o'd at the doctor about the comments she'd made yesterday.

Well, naturally the clinic spat out a different doctor, one who was quick to point out the fast-acting infection in Parker's knee. He drew a line around the site to track the progress of the infection and gave us two prescriptions. He also ordered some blood work, and brother Parker did NOT like that.

The baby's blood was drawn again and the count had climbed to (if memory serves) something close to 13.7. We were instructed to take her in AGAIN on Sunday.
 
There was another trip to the library that day, but I did it on my lonesome.
 
That afternoon Lisa left to go pick up a lot of premie girls clothes she'd seen on Craigslist (including an awesome baby binding blanket called a Kidapotamus, which I constantly and mistakenly call 'the papoose', genuinely at first and now for effect)
 
Meanwhile I set out to cut the grass, and just as I finished - I mean literally as the engine sputtered from a lack of gas and the last blade was trimmed, company arrived in the form of my Uncle Ken and my cousin Becky and her husband (w/ their new baby in tow), and her sister Mindy.
 
Here's a completely out of place pic of Lauren and YaYa, but what the heck.  
 
 
Here's Lauren with my cousin Becky
 
 
 
Here's LuLu's Godmother, Becky's sister
 
 
Becky's husband Pon
 
 
My Uncle Ken
 
 
Here's Becky's son Gentavon
 
 
 
 
 

and Caitlin, who went home that afternoon, with Parker
 
 
To try and snuff out the jaundice we put Lauren (still refered to by me at that point as 'the baby', 'it', and other generic terms) on the porch
 
 
 
meanwhile her siblings joined us. Keep in mind, the shirt Park is wearing at age 2 fit YaYa loosely when we bought it in her K4 year!
 
 
 
I don't remember much about that evening in particular, save that it was wonderful and relaxing and full of love and all that good stuff. Sometime that weekend or thereabouts Lauren also had the joy of seeing ARod hit a homerun (albeit on TV) - indoctrination to Yankee lore is an important aspect of raising any child!
 
[note: I have some footage of me and YaYa during the 2001 World Series, screaming and scaring her as the Yanks hit a homer to win the game]
 
[note#2 - just to F with me, as she is now happy to do, YaYa will go around professing her love for the Red gag Sox and the (vomit) Cubs . . then giggle while her eyes sparkle. Disgusting!]
 
Sometime this week Lisa and the girls also had a talk about breastfeeding, 'tho I think that took place much earlier in the week . . by Saturday the baby was being supplemented with formula for a number of reasons, including the fact that formula fed babies tend to fight off jaundice earlier. . . .
 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There it is after I refreshed like 6 times...aol ugh...

Ok, so didn't they put Lauren on this light therapy thing? Do they not do that anymore? Chelsea was on that but that was 10 yrs ago so??? I'm not sure what her numbers were though.

When Dusty bit me when the vet jabbed him with his vacine right in a nerve they had to put me on Keflex & they circled the swelling also to track it.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I didn't get around to responding to your email before the comment was posted. Nah, unlike YaYa they didn't think her numbers were bad enough to warrant light therapy.