google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Changes

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Changes

I've never talked about work on this blog, right down to clamming up about what line of work I'm in, and that's not going to change tonight.

I will however mention that big changes are in the works. 

Basically,  in the next few weeks I could be out of a job. Most of the staff believes they are in the same position but I think the top of the totem pole is what's most at risk of getting cut down. I suppose there are other scenarios, right up to the idealistic 'things are going to get better'  but those aren't the thoughts you bank on.

I can't talk freely until all is said and done, or at least don't feel 'right' doing so, but there are pros/cons to all the alternatives.

By Thursday night I *might* have an idea of what the future holds, or at least have put the picture slightly more in focus.

In the meantime I've tried to finagle our bills to give us a worst-case buffer against the night. We're also in the process of refinancing the house, obstenively to re-do the roof. But an increasingly important incentive  is the lower payment the (vastly) reduced interest rate will give us. That might come in handy real soon.

We'll see. Wish me luck, whatever fates definition of 'luck' might turn out to be.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I most definitely wish you and yours luck, Dan. I hope everything will turn out for the best.

Beth

Anonymous said...

I hope everything works out okay.  
B.

Anonymous said...

You and the family are always included in my prayers however I think a wee extra prayer might just help in this situations.  Love Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

Nothing is more stressfull than uncertainty.  Hope you know soon, and that the news is good :o)

Anonymous said...

I hope things go as well as they can for you.  In my line of work(home health aide) there can be some uncertain times in regard to having full time hours, so I know those feelings.  Sending some positive thoughts and wishing you luck.  
                                                                                       Leigh

 

Anonymous said...

I wish you luck, and sometimes change is good...please keep us posted....

Love Jeanne

Anonymous said...

 Good luck.  We are in the same type of thing right now.  Happens every few years.  Gee, some job security would be grand wouldn't it.  My line of work, nursing I can always get a job though.  

                 Julie

Anonymous said...

Even the threat of the idea is tough to get your mind around.  good for you being proactive about all the 'just in case' scenarios.
I wish you lots of luck~
~Bernadette

Anonymous said...

Dan,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family that all will be well.
Uncle Bill

Anonymous said...

I know what you are feeling.  I ended up taking early retirement (before I was financially ready) because the alternative was worse.  It has worked out OK but you can't help but worry.  I can only imagine with the family to worry about.  Prayers going up for you and your family.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

We did the same thing - refinanced right before we moved (we kept the house and rented it out).  "How long have you been at your current job?"  "Uhhhh 7 years."  There's no need to add 'but I'm quitting in a month.'  LOL

i'll cross my fingers that things go in your favor!!

~Amy

Anonymous said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers.  What is the old saying...."When one door closes another one opens".  I'm praying that better opportunities will be coming your way.

Unfortunately, most of us have experienced a lay-off, downsizing, etc.  And, we all must agree that it is a frightening dilemma having to worry about bills and providing for yourself and a family.

You are a good man.  That new door will be there for you soon to open.

Hugs, Rose