google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The Savages - and I don't mean Chicagoans (this time)

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Savages - and I don't mean Chicagoans (this time)

                

I will never understand Hollywood's recent obsession with casting every movie as a hyphen-comedy. I suppose it must be out of fear that the public won't accept a pure drama or romance, or whatever, and so they must be lured in by a trailer sprinkled with funny lines.

The Savages is a perfect example. It was billed as a dark comedy, but it is anything but. Does it have some rare moments of humor? Sure, because it's realistic and in life all but the very worst moments can feature a smidgen of laughter. But a comedy by any definition? Not at all.

The movie tells the tale of a brother and sister who assume guardianship of their estranged father, now suffering from dementia and a fatal illness.  The brother, played by Phillip Seymour-Hoffman, is unable to commit to a woman he loves and is professionally stagnant, while the sister, ably played by Laura Linney, has no career and is sleeping with a married man. Together they must navigate the hurdles of caring for their Dad while adjusting to the abrupt re-introduction of family into their lives.

It is a grim movie in many ways, but solid and true to the path these characters would take in real life. Hoffman is just superb, a true craftsman, and it was a joy to watch him at work.

If there were any flaws, I'd have to say the subplot with the married man was a little too obvious an ode to the damage caused by her parent's violent marriage and subsequent abandonment.. But that, in all honesty, is 1/100th of the movie and barely worth a whisper of complaint.

3.5 stars out of 4, 80 out of 100

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds pretty good. Philip Seymour Hoffman just keeps getting better and better.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Perfect timing.  Netflex will deliver that one to me today.  I will let you know what I think of it.  It sounds like a movie I will enjoy, but like you, I was expecting a comedy.                  Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

For about five years now  I have been adding PSF as "if he is in the movie (netflix) I'm renting it.". He had me in Scent of a Woman and hit a home run in Almost famous. I need to start doing movie reviews. (too)

Anonymous said...

Just catching up on posts. I like both of them. I remember something  similar called Hanging Up with Walter Matthau, Meg Ryan, Diane Keating & Daryl Hannah I think. Maybe not as serious. I do like PSH also! And you know what...I think he also is quite attractive...then again I think Kevin James from Hitch & King of Queens is sexy & adorable too...I like that combo! Ha! I think they just may be redefining what is attractive in a man. I'll have to look for this movie! Maybe they will have it on HBO soon?