google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: A warning, courtesy of Alphawoman

Search This Blog

Sunday, July 20, 2008

A warning, courtesy of Alphawoman

I read a post on Alphawoman's Blog this morning that got me worried. I'd noticed in recent days that the 'sitemeter' graphic was no longer displaying on my sidebar, but I wrote it off to a typical glitch. Not so.

According to her post AOL has removed this great site - provider of DEPENDABLE, free stat counters for journals - from its list of 'acceptable' sites.

You can check out her write-up here and she posted additional info in the comments on my last post.

The issue here is the ol' slippery slope. If Sitemeter is disallowed today, maybe Photobucket (and all the pictures I've posted here via the site) will be gone tomorrow.

Two other complaints I have about AOL Journals:

1. Magic Smoke lists a handful of journals in its 'other journals' sidebar. This isn't about them (they are fine sites and worth visiting) but what is the rationale to single those out above all others?

2. Still waiting for the print/save option after most of a year.

LOL. Man,  AOL is great at ticking off their clientele, eh?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan, actually, there's a notice up at Sitemeter that they are switching servers, or something like that, and that our logos will disappear off and on. If you have your account info handy, you can still log on and see your stats. They mentioned nothing about AOL disallowing their site, and I've still been able to get into my stats (which are updating just fine) with no problem!

Beth

Anonymous said...

I tried Beth's suggestion and was able to see my information OK and it seems accurate.  Also, I got my email monthly stats just the other day and they looked fine also.  I think she may be mistaken.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

I hadn't noticed that and..will have to go and do a check around. AOL sure don't believe in really giving us any help. I have asked how to spell check for at least a year and never ever had a reply !!  you might have noticed LOL  If I wrote a bit slower all would be well....but that's not me, i'm slap dash syb. !!  I do usually check after I have writen all depends on time !!  Love Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

Just to clarify because I somtimes just blow off rather than take my time and make it perfectly clear. I too can still access my stats via sitemeter but the logo and the hit coutner has been eliminated from my "about you" section. Now I see from one of the other comments that sitemeter is in a transition period but it does not explain why sitemeter is not one of the "accepted" sites on the list that is allowed. And anyone interested can check it out by the link I left that can also be found by going to your edit button on the "about me" section and click on the link in the instructions. I hope that sitemeter will again be on my blog because as much as I think I do it just to be writing, I will admit I do if for the comments and subsequently the hits. Call it ego, I don't care, I like it. hahah. Love ya Dan!

Mary