google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Lump's 1st Swim Class

Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Lump's 1st Swim Class

Yesterday, while Lisa had the other three at dance class, I was honored to take Lump for her first ever swim class.

It was very cold and windy outside, but the pool was as warm as bath water. It's the same pool that I talked about on Saturday. Keep in mind the pictures are much darker than it actually looked in the room.

As a matter of fact, it was the same teacher we had on Saturday. That worked out great. She seemed quite pleased that we were 'repeat' customers and was very friendly to the Lump. She even used her twice to demonstrate techniques, which I thought was cool.

If you've been to an infant swim class you know the drill. Jumping in the water and splashing, 'The Wheels on the Bus', 'Hokey Pokey' and 'I'm a piece of popcorn' songs, reaching for the rubber ducky, and basic kicking were all on the menu.

Lump did great. Of the four babies who showed up (of six registered) she wasn't the best 'swimmer', but was the only baby not to cry.

It was a good time and a nice bonding experience with the Lump. I look forward to going again next week.

* * * *

Afterwards I headed out to a western suburb to pick up the other three kids. The dance instructor had gone out of her way to schedule all three kids classes on the same day for us, but that's backfired. There's no way to keep Smiley quiet for the two hours he has to wait for his sisters, or any way to keep LuLu occupied for her two one hour waits. [note: Lisa works off tuition by answering phones and running their desk, so she can't watch them every second]

Whenever I pick them up I have trouble corralling them and its so chaotic I'm sure the other parents think 'white trash'. I don't care, but I do worry about Smiley's habit of running out into the parking lot while I'm packing up the other ones.

Anyhow, they're all loving dance class so we'll make do. It works a lot better when I'm there to lend a hand, although I get bitter about the waste of what could have been perfectly good 'alone time' in their absence.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember those swim class days from Kendra.  :) Great fun for all three of us. (Paul went too).  We've had problems with classes lined up one after the other, fortunately most places I can stick two in one class, so that cuts down the amount of time waiting. Hardest is when they all have to be at different locations on the same day (scouting days seemed to be tough).  LOL.... sorry, kind of got caught up reminscing.  Most times, Paul wasn't there to help out, so I'm sure Lisa appreciates your help.   Estela

Anonymous said...

Lump is very cute in her bathing suit.  And it's good to start em young.  I can't remember not knowing how to swim.
                                                                           :)  Leigh

Anonymous said...

Isn't our wee Lump coming on..she is so cute...fancy swimming already !!  Pity about the others with the dance ties etc.   still no doubt it will work out in the end.  Oh I do hope I see them grow up a bit more.   Love Sybil x

Anonymous said...

When I read "White trash" I laughed out loud!

Anonymous said...

Lump is just a doll.  So cute!  Oh, to heck with the other parents.  Well, okay, that's rude and not polite, but we all do what we have to do and anyone who has had children know that you cannot predict how anything will go.  LOL

Anonymous said...

Glad that Lump enjoyed her class...and your bitterness will turn to smiles when your grandkids are told what their grandparents did for their parents...:)

what a nice day, dancing and swimming...

jeanne

Anonymous said...

You and I know that "swimming" is stretching the definition a bit at Lump's age. However, it sounds much more euphonious than "water safety and drown-proofing" as the excercise truly is. I'm glad to hear that Sweetums is not water shy. My own daughter's "I swim like a fish at the YWCA" t-shirt is in my keepsake box 24 years after the classes.

And don't you wish that they had "obedience" classes for kids. "Sit! Stay!"

;^) Jan the Gryphon

Anonymous said...

Lump is adorable... as always!!

Where are you going to be going after the 31st?? I'm hoping I'll still be able to follow the antics of one of my favorite families.. just on a different platform! I already use Blogger, and it's pretty user friendly... come on over!