google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Nobody's Perfect - The Giants Win! 18-1

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Nobody's Perfect - The Giants Win! 18-1

Oh, Lordy . .once upon a time I thought SuperBowl XXV, another Giants nailbiting world championship, was the best drama a Super Bowl could produce. No sir; that'd be SuperBowl XLII.

Wow.

The Giants win by three points- as my gut predicted - to win the Lombardi Trophy.

Forget the Patriots and their smug, quick dismissal of the Giants as overconfident, and Brady's cocky rejection of Burress' prediction that the Pats would be held to 17 points.

Try 14 buddy.

The Giants just plain refused to be cowed, attacking Brady relentlessly and knocking him around like a tennis ball. Give credit where it was due; a lesser quarterback would have folded by halftime, but Brady just kept coming.

Two moments  had me on my feet, pumping my fist in the air and screaming:

Eli Manning on his way to getting sacked in the midst of his historic 84 yard game winning drive, but somehow squirming out and unloading a deep pass to Tryee, who hauled it in like an acrobat, all the time wrapped in the arms of a Patriots defender.

                       

That one actually caused me to bust my living room chandlier, knocking the glass loose with my fist and shattering a bulb.

I'll have to explain that one to the Mrs.very carefully.

The second was that booming sack of Brady with ~20 seconds left.

I left the chandelier alone that time.

So Eli joins his brother as a Super Bowl Champion - has that ever happened before? Probably not - and has come into his own.

And how does history judge the Patriots? Even at 18-1 they can't be considered the best ever, not without a championship ring. Realistically, on a numerical ranking they must be placed behind each and every championship team, just like the 116 win Seattle Mariners in baseball, despite the fact that they are/were one of the most dominating and suffocating units in history.

Congrats Eli and New York. Thanks for the great game!

Tags: , , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing how 1 less than perfect is going to feel not good enough. So sad we are today.

I hope it wasn't a CFL bulb...Ha...read my post! :-)

I think they both should be soooo proud! It is a shame we can't say "tie" but that one has to be better than the other...wonder why that is just so important.

Anonymous said...

If the Packers couldn't beat the Giants, I knew (wanted) them to win the super bowl, along with the reasons you gave (the Patriots with their smug ....).....

I would like to hear what the Mrs has to say about the chandlier lol

It was a good game, I did have to watch it in black and white the Mr was watching "death wish five"  go figure...

Great game...lol

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...the chandelier manuever...I've seen it many times...hehehe.  I hope your bulb was the good old-fashoined kind, and not the newer, "safer and longer lasting".  I've slowly been replacing mine, only to learn that the new ones are dangerous (Mercury).  Dangit. ;)  C.

Anonymous said...

You know the other day I bought a 6 pack of curly-cute florescent bulbs, and it was only when I got home that I noticed they were 'eco friendly' and had reduced mercury and mineral contents. They are called Ecobulb and surprisingly were only $10 for a 6 pack,  not including a $5 mail in rebate.

Dan