google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: On Castro, Blu-Ray, and my choice in the WI Primary

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

On Castro, Blu-Ray, and my choice in the WI Primary

Truly a day that will long be remembered by history.

First, time manages to do what the generations of Americans could not: after nearly 50 years in power, Fidel Castro has resigned as President of Cuba. In the long run, with a little luck, it'll shift Cuba back into the brotherhood of democratic nations. (I wouldn't mind seeing Havana myself).

Short term, with Fidel still alive and his brother Raul due to take charge, I don't think it makes any difference at all.

* * *

In slightly less historic news, the VHS/Beta- like battle of this decade is over. Blu-Ray has taken the gold as Toshiba conceded the contest by abandoning their HD DVD technology.

I don't have either, so it matters little to me at the moment, but I do take issue with any technology called 'Blu-Ray'. It sounds like a marketing slogan, not the legitimate name of what will become mainstream technology.

* * *  Political Commentary - Enter at your Own Risk * * *

And then of course, the Presidential Primary is taking place today here in Wisconsin. In just a few hours Lis and I will take the kids along and vote. Here's the historic part: for the first time EVER, I'll cast a vote for a Democratic Presidential candidate.

[Please, no tears - I still intend to vote for McCain in the fall. All misgivings aside, I'm not willing to disregard the - and forgive me for being hokey- the will of the people and vote against the GOP's nominee just out of spite. If kosher reasons emerge - and they may well do so - he'll lose my vote. But again, not out of spite.]

With the Republican nomination sewn up I'm free to vote for whoever I like. A wise strategy would be to carefully consider who would be the biggest threat to a GOP victory and cast a vote to try and block that threat.

I'm not going to do that. For reasons I may go over in detail later, I think the GOP (surprisingly) has a decent chance against either Democratic candidate.

No, I'm going to vote for (gasp!) Hilary Clinton because in the event of a GOP loss, I think she would far and away be the most responsible, less dangerous option to govern the country.

To me, it'd be the difference between a President I disagreed with politically but who acted in the best interests of the nation (Clinton), and a President that I disagreed with politically but acted, despite his own good intentions, in a manner that would place this nation in jeopardy domestically and abroad (Obama).

Sure, write it off as B.S. Say that I really am voting to protect the GOP candidate, or that I'm a white guy voting against Obama's color. I counter by saying a categorical 'no' to both. For the record, while race plays a part in a good many things in this world, the only time race has played a role in this election is when Barrack Hussein Obama earns empty votes solely because of his heritage.

I have seen and heard nothing to disuade me from the belief that  Obama is anything more than a pretty face with an excellent ability to personalize the great words of his speech writers. He promises a lot, but I don't see any evidence that the can meet even a quarter of those empty words, nor any evidence he honestly expects to be held to that standard

I think, as I said before, that while he may or may not possess Jimmy Carter's sincere desire to do 'good', Obama is nothing more than Carter redux, packaged with all the flair of a modern JFK.

There are a good many more words to say on the subject, and I'm sure I'll get around to them in time.

Hilary Clinton earns my vote, and I hope yours too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Politics is not my thing :P lol. -Missy
http://journals.aol.com/ma24179/MISSYZSTUFF

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 100%

I would like Cuba to become one of the brotherhood of democratic nations, but I dont see it happening....

I am upset about vhs/beta or Blu Ray technology.....As far as I'm concerned that means I have to buy more equipment so that my VHS tapes can play, the DVD's can play and any new films purchased under Blu Ray can be played....Belevie it or not, I just thru out my 8 track tapes....that I liked but my player died....

Heaven help us, you voted for Hilary Clinton....If she doesn't make it in, I think I will write her in, I just can't, not vote in November, but I can't vote for someone I totally disagree with or dislike....

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

i agree that hilary is the better of the choices but in my opinion i don't really like any of them.  wouldn't be the first time though.

i dont know about blu-ray, but if it's like everyone who uses it says then it's better than HD.  chris' best friend keeps telling him he needs to upgrade.  we have hd tv's but i put my foot down on an HD dvd player.  i mean the hd is already a better picture than reality is and i'm scared of seeing more.  hehe.

have a good one~
~Bernadette