google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Don't worry - I'll give you an easy 'awww!' post of kids pics soon enough. 'til then, read this. :)

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Don't worry - I'll give you an easy 'awww!' post of kids pics soon enough. 'til then, read this. :)

These kids, are kicking my a**.

As usual on Thursday's, Lisa went to dance class and I put the kids to bed alone. No biggie - I've done it a hundred times this year. (and before that statement starts a fire, let it be acknowledged that yes, Lisa has probably done it a thousand times in our marriage).

So all is quiet and well and I chose to go down to the basement, to read a little Stephen King on the throne and then take a long hot shower in my Fortress of Solitude.

Only the laundry sinks were again backed up, and water was about to overflow. Well bleep and bleep.  I went through all the normal steps, conceded something was again blocking the trap, vacuumed out the water, and tried to dump it down the sewer drain.

I say try, because I tipped it and dumped it over the basement floor.

I mopped up what I could, took the trap apart - yet another sock, and God knows (Smiley) how they wind up there - and put it back together. I took my shower, trod across my bacteria water ridden floor, and journeyed upstairs. Maybe an hour and a half had passed.

All - the - kids - were- up and watching TV in our bedroom. 

LuLu was resting comfortably on a child's patio recliner she apparently dragged inside at some point in the day. Smiley had taken a Pokemon-ish mask and glove set and put them on, realized the gloves squirted water, and filled them with Diet Pepsi. The baby was standing and screaming in her crib down the hall, and YaYa was just lying there watching TV and eating an apple, calm as calm can be.

For the next scene, picture King Kong as he escapes his bonds at the theater. I was the star of the show.

I can handle Smiley finally hitting a delayed 'terrible two's' at three, and LuLu is four, which in my experience is one of the most miserable years to deal with as a parent, and YaYa is just downright Evil by nature, a regular Junie B Jones, but c'mon!

A few years ago I wrote about a behavior chart we had for the oldest girls,one that worked well but was destroyed in the move. I think it's about time it was resurrected.

* * * *

Some positive news of the kids: Smiley can now say a slurred 'one more' on demand, YaYa has been invited by Lisa's childhood dance instructor to do a dance at her studio's recital, LuLu exhibited incredible politeness and self-assuredness while on a trip to the library with me today, and the baby possesses 7 teeth, digs cheerios and has started to crawl.

* * * *

Big day at work tomorrow, with the new owner coming in for a meeting and a big farewell party for the current, long-standing owners. No matter what,  a decade long chapter of my life is coming to a rapid close.

Hmm. I wish I could pop into my grandkid's history books and see what happens next, because the options, conceivably, suck.

* * * *

The appraisal came back on the house, and it was good news, a solid 10% increase in the value of our home in a just over a years time.

* * * *

I tenatively accepted that offer to write a weekly or bi-weekly column for that communtiy newspaper, with details to be worked out on Saturday.

* * * *

To all you commie pinkos out there, Happy May Day!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, had to laugh at the kids' antics. (I can do that because I'm not a parent.)
Hope the job pans out okay in the end.

B.

Anonymous said...

one day you'll look back on these antics of your kids and smile and laugh about them

good for you for tentatively perhaps writing a weekly/biweekly column for your paper

betty

Anonymous said...

Yikes, sounds like quite an evening! As Scarlett said, "Tomorrow is another day."

Good luck with all the job stuff happening soon--I hope everything works out for the best.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Been there, done that with the kids - Good Luck <evil laughter>

Hope the new column writing works out :o)

Anonymous said...

Ever hear the song.... 'You're Gonna Miss This'?..... one day, you'll look back and laugh!!!  (The baby might have some 'attention' issues, but I'm sure things will work out!!  LOL!!)  Post a pic, already!!

Joann

Anonymous said...

Oh Dan  I do love your kids....fram afar !!!   I could just visulise the scene...both in the bedroom and in the basement....some evening.  Will be thinking of you and teh job situation in next few eeks...change change change...  Love  Sybil x

Anonymous said...

Haaaaa.......that's why I'm always on my kids like white on rice.  I blink and the house will be on fire or something.  A sock in the drain though?.....better you than me :-P

Our house appraisal went down.  Suckage.

~Amy

Anonymous said...

Oh my.............I paid my dues raising children.........mine are grown and reaching 40 years old now.

So that's where all the socks go?

Rose

Anonymous said...

LOL! Sounds like you got to live Steven King instead of reading it!  Isn't great what our kids come up with!  Have a good week!  Karen

Anonymous said...

Mine were never nocturnal wanderers, but they certainly had their own brand of "what can we get by Dad?" escapades.  LMAO... thanks for sharing yours. Estela

Anonymous said...

Good wishes for the job.
Blessings on the kids.
Keep in mind they're at that awkward age (between birth and 70).
I am sooooo glad I got to raise two "only" children.
;^) Jan the Gryphon

Anonymous said...

WOW!  Sounds like you have perfectly normal children.  Cannot leave them to their own devices for very long Dad.  LOL.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Sounds like normal kids to me....lol...

Just wait, there could be baseball in the house and peanut butter fights yet...

LOL

Good luck on the job..

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Junie B Jones...lmao!  Just wait, it only gets to be more fun as they start to formulate their own opinions on everything ;)

If it makes you feel any better, my Pey took her little brother out of bed (after waking him up!) and let him run around upstairs (no gate!!) while I was in the backyard calling for the dog.  Then she left him alone to sneak downstairs to get cookies to feed him.  sigh.

If everything is quiet...something bad is going down ;)
~Bernadette