google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: P.S. I Love You

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

P.S. I Love You

             

Oh, sure it was sappy, over-the-top, and featured too many Irishmen, but you know what: I really liked this movie.

P.S. I Love You is the movie version of the Cecelia Ahern bestseller. It tells the story of the recently widowed Holly, played by Hilary Swank, who is guided through the grieving process by a series of letters and packages her deceased husband arranged to have delivered in the year after his death.

Swank isn't an actress who's name screams 'romantic comedy', but she does an outstanding job as the grieving Holly. The supporting cast, led by Kathy Bates, Lisa Kudrow, and Harry Connick, Jr,. shine. And the story, while over the top, keeps you involved and pulls at your heart.

Flaws? Not many, and certainly not worth much of a mention. I didn't buy the main characters as 19 and 24 year olds in the flashbacks, but what are you going to do, invent a fountain of youth? I thought the couple squabbled an awful lot, considering we were able to glimpse but the smallest portion of their life together. And SPOILER WARNING I thought her choice of a final  love interest was odd, and an obvious attempt to clone of her late husband. It didn't scream 'I've moved on', which after all was the point of the movie.

As romantic comedies go, 75 out of a 100; on my own scale 80 out of 100.

* * * *
A word about the DVD extras. "The name of the game is Snaps' is one of the oddest but most intriguing DVD extras I've seen. You need to watch it.

Also, the interview with author Cecelia Ahern was sinful. One, because she was all of twenty-one when she wrote the book and made her fortune, and two, because she is very attractive, a true Danny-girl.

[That bleeping Snaps song won't leave my head. 'Snaps is the name of the game, the name of the game is Snaps'.]

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I call this a Chick Flick D.   lol.  I loved it and gave it a 4 out of 5.  Glad to hear a man liked it as well.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Sounds like I need to make a BlockBuster run.

I think I asked you if you had seen *The Best Man in Grass Creek*. I certainly hope so, as the scene at the House of Gravy was worth the price of the rental.

;^) Jan the Gryphon

Joann said...

OK, So it's been more than a year since you posted this, but I must have missed this entry (I don't usually like to read movie reviews to movies I haven't seen yet). But I have now and LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this movie!!! From beginning to end, I was in tears. The cast was PERFECT!! And I LOVED the ending, I thought it was PERFECT!!!

The 'snap' movie was a little different, I found it a little annoying, but sat through it to learn the game... not too enthused over that either.