google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Fay Wray, Richard Widmark, a hot Angelina Jolie, the Zodiac Killer, DB Cooper, and Egg McMuffins

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Fay Wray, Richard Widmark, a hot Angelina Jolie, the Zodiac Killer, DB Cooper, and Egg McMuffins

I'm just going to point out that I've created this post three times now, and AOL has 'errored' out and lost it twice. Buggers. I"m not even going to *try* and incorporate links throughout this time; you'll have to look it up yourself.

Last night I watched The Most Dangerous Game, a 1932 movie with Fay Wray that tells the story of Count Zarkoff, a madman who hunts humans for sport on his private island.

Very well done for a film made during the Hoover administration, even if the acting was stilted at times. Some trivia: Fay Wray did this film during the day and then left to do King Kong at night.

I was a bit freaked out watching the film, as I know the Zodiac killer was a fan of the movie, referencing it in his taunting letters to the San Francisco press and basing his costume on Zarkoff.

To imagine that madman watching the screen with a glimmer of excitement in his eyes . . it gave me chills.

Maybe he should have paid better attention to one of Zarkoff's lines in the film: "You don't hunt the female of the species".

In news of other, less violent criminals, it was announced that some kids may have found DB Coopers long-buried parachute.

Cooper, you'll recall, is the alias for the man who hijacked an American Airlines jet in the '70's, collected the ransom, and then brazenly parachuted into oblivion from the back of the plane.

My opinion? In a few days they'll have a small print article in the back of the paper calling this a false alarm.

If DB is alive, and has managed to keep quiet and out of trouble all these years, then clap him on the back, say 'heckuva story' and move on.

* * *

The inventor of the Egg McMuffin, Herb Peterson, died yesterday. To my recollection I've never had one of his creations.

* * *

The whole Hillary lied story? A weak but effective means of diverting attention away from Wright's hate speech.

* * *

Can we please fire the genealogists, journalists, and editors who feel compelled to give us election year stories about what famous person is related to each candidate? This year, Brad Pitt is reported to be related to Obama and Angelina Jolie to Clinton, or vice versa.

How convenient.

Why is it famous people are only related to other famous people? No one is the great-granddaughter of a fat, ugly pickpocket with eczema, ED, and a stray sixth toe? No one?

* * * *

More snow expected today, and I'm rooting for it. We're so close to the all-time Milwaukee record it'd be a shame to take silver this season.

* * * *

Richard Widmark, an actor I enjoyed a lot on American Movie Classics as a kid, passed away yesterday. Best known for laughing as he pushed an old lady down a flight of stairs while tied to a wheelchair (and earning an Oscar nod for it), Widmark had a great career that spanned decades.

DesLily did a much better write up on Here, There, and Everywhere. Kindly check it out.

RIP Mr. Widmark.

* * * *

The first two versions of this post were better, but whatever. I saw a post about Google Docs on Nutwood Junction. Maybe I'll try that.

Working in AOL isn't doing the trick, and moving text from Office always leads to stray code and 'smushed' text.

BTW, I'm fully aware that an editor would be grand . . I'm always re-reading a post and noticing a wrong word here, an awkward phrase there. Sorry about that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the link, ...

you really never had an egg mcmuffin?? wow! lol

Anonymous said...

Just as a note...I do my journal entries as an email first.  That way I can save it as a draft and come back to it if I don't get done.  Also can do spell check (which for me is a must.  Anyway, I loved Richard Widmark.  He lived a long and successful life.  Good for him.  I snagged the Jolie picture.  Might use it in a tag.
Have a great day, Joyce

Anonymous said...

A lot of times I will save my work in an email as I go, just in case, but it gets old fast.

And no, no Egg McMuffins. Not a big fan of breakfast, and fast-food breakfast in particular. :)

Dan

Anonymous said...

Have you tried Live Writer?? You can't post directly to an AOL Journal with one-click (like I can with Blogger), but it does allow you to do your entry, see it, and then copy the HTML directly into your AOL Blog AND you don't even need to know HTML, just how to copy and paste! I used to do my entries in a text editor and then copy and paste, but after I started doing a mirror blog over at Blogger I was looking for a little bit of a short-cut. Live Writer was it. I do the entry in Live Writer, hit the button that publishes it directly to Blogger, then change over to HTML view, copy the code, and paste the code into my AOL blog and I'm done.... easy-peasy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link, and I hope you like Google Docs. It's not perfect, and I find that I still have to mess around with spacing once I paste it to AOL. But your entries are saved on Google, so if AOL wipes it out, you're safe!

The story about who is related to who made me think of past life regression, when most people will find out they were an Egyptian princess or an English queen. You never get told that you were a scullery made, or one of the slaves that died while constructing the pyramids. We can't ALL be exceptional! <grin>

Beth