google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The Return of Old Man Winter on Good Friday

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Return of Old Man Winter on Good Friday

God must truly follow the liturgical calendar, although he doesn't seem to like it too much. Ash Wednesday featured a nasty blizzard, and so did Good Friday.

Spring officially started the other day, but it felt like it'd been around for a week.

Temperatures in the 40 (F)'s had melted all the snow, every last bit of it. I went around without a jacket, the kids played outside (thereby ruining their clothes by covering them in mud) and all was well.

Then I had to go and think nostalgically on this ferocious winter, and hope for at least a few more flakes before it was all said and done.

Milwaukee, feel free to hang me from the nearest tree.

What my wish brought was 10.9 inches of snow in the city proper, bringing our total for the winter to 95.4 inches/7.95 FEET of the white stuff this season.

Hey, we got lucky - some parts of the area got more.

That puts us in second place all-time in Milwaukee's recorded history.

I'll say one thing for all this snow: I have now officially overcome my long-standing fear of driving in a snowstorm. Now, I could really care less. I don't like it, but I'm not afraid of it either.

However, I'd like to one day have a job where I could look outside, see a blizzard, sigh contently and say "You know, maybe I won't drive across town today. No doubt the office is going to close."

Instead, I went to work, which as I've said before gets awfully busy when the weather gets foul.

In the evening I set out to shovel and darn near slit my wrists. 10 inches, sminches - apparently my alley is the collection point for all drifting snow. I forced my gate open and was greeted by a wall of snow two feet high.

Sonofa***ch.

Naturally my snow blower still worked like crud, so I abandoned it and picked up a shovel. 20x20 parking slab - cleared. Back walkway, steps and porch - cleared. 1/2 of the alley behind our house - cleared.

And then I just gave up.

So as it stands my alley is impassable, Lisa's van, the only means of transporting the entire family at once, is therefore inoperable, and my back is killing me.

But I still can't say I mind all that much. It's been a memorable winter, that's for sure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Got stuck three times trying to get out of my parking space, the snow was so high, it was above my hood of the car....it seem more like 24 inches, not 10....LOL

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

LOLOLOL!...40?...I LOVE it that you guys can enjoy the weather coatless that way.  Miss that.  When it hits 40 around here...the parkas come out in style! ;)  C.