google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: What the panel of docs and teachers said about Smiley

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 6, 2008

What the panel of docs and teachers said about Smiley

In retrospect I find my Favre post, at its heart, a pretentious piece of crap. Kindly ignore it.

 

As an excuse I can say that I wrote it while waiting to leave for the final evaluation of Smiley's learning ability. I was a bit nervous. I was expecting something out of Back to School, with Lisa and I playing the role of Rodney Dangerfield facing down a hostile panel of educators.

 

Instead what we got was a friendly discussion around a conference table, with the psychologists displaying their opinions on a large projection screen in the room.

 

They were very complimentary of us, especially Lisa (for her persistence in getting him seen) and of Smiley in general. "You guys are swell," one of the doctor's said, causing a giggle in the room.


All three of the ladies that saw Smiley were there, and all gave their opinions. #1 was still critical of his overall abilities, but #'s 2 and 3 leant far more weight to the opposite side of the scale.

 

In the end here's the verdict: for the time being the assumption is his only learning problem is his inability to speak, despite an obvious interest in doing so. The cause? "We may never know," they said.

 

The solution? They're going to put him into a special education class three hours a day, four days a week, for the next (projected) two years, with a full re-evaluation in three years. The class will be of kids with 'normal' academic ability but speech difficulties, which means he won't be below or above the curve.

 

They did mention that should a more serious problem be present, it's far more likely to be spotted with daily exposure to a classroom than a few hours of testing, so in a way we're not out of the woods yet.

 

The big boss of MPS who was at the meeting go the ball rolling quickly, making a conference call then and there; he starts Monday at 12 noon at a nearby school we once toured for YaYa.

 

So my boy is going to school .  . . I'm happy and proud and I think it'll be good for him.

 

I'll update everyone after his first day.

 


Tags:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear of the good news about Smiley....

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Sounds like good news, I bet he's going to love it!

Julie

Anonymous said...

Dan
This sounds like real progress and good news, too.  I hope Smiley likes his new school, let us know how it goes.  
Sam

Anonymous said...

I hope things go well for the kiddo!

I didn't think your Favre entry was crap at all. I thought it was wonderful, so take the compliment!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Hi I am just back from a few days in Scotland visiting a very dear friend who is very poorly. I am just getting down to reading all the journals..favs. first !!  leave the rest till tomorrow...it is a long drive down left this morning at 7am home about 4pm....although I did have my brother in law help with the driving (but like my own driving better !! so drove the most..anyway it is my car !!)  I am so happy to read that Smiley will be going to school on MOnday, Can't wait to hear how he gets on, and get on well, is just what he will do, believe me.  Much LOve Sybil x

Anonymous said...

 WTG Smiley about going to school.  He will enjoy it.  I can't wait to hear how it goes.

             Julie