google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Biden - warning: Politics ahead

Search This Blog

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Biden - warning: Politics ahead

Well, if nothing else it's over.

I was so sick of hearing about who Obama might pick,  why he might pick them,  the neato way he'd inform the world (text message) and gosh darnit,  was that use of the masculine pronoun a tipoff or is Obama just a foolin' with us here reporters? My lord MSNBC, just kiss the guy already.

It was like watching the season finale of The Bachelor over and over for weeks.

I for one have always felt the entire VP selection is overblown. Important, yes. Vital for reassuring the country? Perhaps. But I don't believe any Presidential candidate goes into this thinking he's going to die in office, which means the selection is more about election politics than the health of the nation. So we waste gads of time obsessing over a tactical move by a candidate and in the end the impact is usually overblown.

It didn't have to be that way this year. Had Obama picked Hilary the media attention alone might have drowned out the McCain campaign long enough to stop it dead in the water. But that was never going to happen; the campaign had been too bitter, and the spector of the Clinton yoke was too real to even bring up HRC as a contender.

But Joe Biden? I'm not even a Democrat and I feel let down. Yikes.

Look, I get it. Obama's running on a very short resume and his one big foreign policy effort has been minimized by the Surge. It makes sense to go with someone with a few more years in Washington and some foreign policy expertise. I just think there were better choices out there.

One of the campaign mandates is 'change' is it not? Biden's been in Washington longer than I've been alive, and I'm old enough to remember the bicentennial (in a blurry sort of way). More to the point he spent all of *four* years in the private sector before landing his gig inD.C, making it all the more obvious that for Biden it's about the power and not a desire to 'change' the system. He IS the system.

The idea that it was necessary to choose someone the (professional) polar opposite of yourself does not, in my mind, work to resolve skepticism of your credentials.

Biden himself jumped on Obama in his short-lived campaign for the Oval Office. "The presidency is not something that lends itself to on-the-job training.," he said. Biden has also questioned  his judgment on Iraq, Afghanistan and his willingness to meet  with the leaders of 'rogue' states.

Worthless campaign snipe? Sure. I don't put too much stock into it. But in turn I also won't buy the lovey-dovey between the two we're sure to see until November.

From a strictly practical point of view, I don't get it. Biden is an uninspiring national figure, never getting past the first innings of the Presidential primaries. He's from a state with a mere 3 delegates, and more to the point he's from a section of the country that's painted a solid blue. Why not pick someone from the South or from areas that are walking a thin line between the parties?

Biden's only two selling points are the experience angle and his abilities as a crass, sometimes foul-mouthed attack dog. That has it's place, and I"m sure he'll be put to good use.

But he also has a reputation as a seriously long winded, meandering speaker who sometimes says things that are offensive and/or insensitive. He's never had to worry about that for too long on the campaign trail (the plus side of losing I guess) but now he'd better mind his P's and Q's for the next ten weeks.

* * * * *

End of netural apprasial, start of personal thought:

This next bit might come off as a crude attack itself, but I assure you it is my longheld and personal opinion of the man, admittedly created by nothing but his appearance and his sound bytes. And if I feel some way, just on gut reaction, then I'm sure others in Topeka and San Bernadino feel the same.

My vibe:  I don't like him. I think he's full of himself and phony. His hair-plugged mullet irks me. And for the life of me every time I see him I picture him as the kind of guy who comes home late, joins his wife for a cocktail at a dinner party  then excuses himself to see his mistress, grabbing his wife's ass as he leaves (and making sure all his friends see him do it).

Of course, I have an active imagination. But I can't, I just can't be the only American who thinks he comes off as slightly creepy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have been happier if Sen. Bayh was Obama's choice, but then I'm biased, and into that whole Midwestern common sense thing....

But I'm not sure where the whole scenario of a cocktail-swilling Biden grabbing his wife's ass as he toddles off to visit his mistress comes from. It seems that you are judging him on your perception of his appearance and sound bites...? If we were all judged by those criteria, I suspect we would all fail miserably.

I've said that I was never a huge fan of Biden because of some of his knee-jerk comments, but appearance...? Not an issue for me.

All my best,
Beth

Anonymous said...

As I have said before I think it would be wrong for me to really discuss your election ways....But as a total observer and by the way...(don't read this bit LOL )
I like Obabma but as for the one he has chosen for his partner...I think he has made a BIG mistake....or maybe for your party the right decision !!  
Love Sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

I separated it from the main body so as to distinguish it from my more or less neutral appraisal of the pick. It's nothing more than the vibe I pick up. But I do think appearances matter, if nothing else than to poison the well. How many people looked at Bush's 'smirk' and wrote him off as a frat boy? Viewed the heavyset, solemn, bald Cheney as domineering and 'Vader-ish'? Saw Clinton's gray hair and subconsciously picked up the idea he was distinguished? Or saw Reagan's square jaw and self-assuredness as the antidote to Carter? Obama already has issues (with the center/right) judging him as a phony and a shallow politician. Now he's teamed with a guy who physically seems to scream those very points? I do not think that was wise.

Anonymous said...

I try not to judge someone by their appearance (the old book by it's cover thing), but politically, I agree with every word you wrote.  Of course, I'm not an Obama fan either so don't go by me.  (evil grin)
Joyce

Anonymous said...

I agree with alot of your entry, but there must be more to the pick than we see.  Also, there was a good article in our paper over the weekend about how he still lives in the same Deleware house that he has lived for years, goes home on Amtrak each night, and is solildly middle class (his net worth is only in the neighborhood of $300K.  Thanks for sharing :o)

Anonymous said...

I always liked the SNL sketch where the "new president" was interviewed, saying that he had no fear of assassination as he - like his predecessors for the past four successful presidential campaigns - had picked Rev. Jesse Jackson as his running mate. (True, the gag was a lot funnier when Reagan was in office.)

Personally, I think that we ought to limit the time from initial declaration of intent to election day to three months maximum. You reporters can surely dig up all the pertinent dirt in that amount of time. Or check out that of which the potential candidates are accusing their opponents. Most people vote for the candidate who is taller, better groomed, and most mediocre anyway. We all want someone who will look good, but is easly swayed to "our side" of any question.

;^) Jan the Gryphon

Anonymous said...

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I knew Hilary would never be picked for the VP position, but I admit surprise that he selected Biden.  Estela

Anonymous said...

I would have have preferred Michael Phelps for VP for either party. He has experience in internation relations, he's a winner, he isn't too old, and I don't see him drowning. He has almost as much political experience as McCain's VP choice though she might get more ex-Hillary supporters.

Biden is a terrible choice, he was selected to shore up Obama's lack of foreign policy experience but when you need to use a lightweight plagiarist like Biden for gravitas you know you're in trouble.

McCain is going to win fairly easy in my opinion. The whole South will vote against Obama and most of the Midwest too. The coasts will be split. Fox News will have 20 percent of the country thinking Obama is Osama's second cousin.