google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Oh Lord am I down tongiht

Search This Blog

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Oh Lord am I down tongiht

I am very melancholy tonight.

For one thing the kids are going back to school on Monday. [Well, not Smiley, he starts the 2nd of September, but the girls restart the daily grind at the conclusion of this weekend]. It's ridiculous really. They ended school midway through June and they're going back nearly a week before August ends. That's a miscarriage of childhood, and I'm not being facetious.

I had so many worries going into this summer and yet it turned out to be a great experience. It was jam packed with activity without coming off as forced or overdone, and I had a blast. There's so many things I haven't even had a chance to blog about yet and I hope to get to them soon.

Meanwhile I look at the kids and I already miss them, troublemakers though they may be. To compound this mood  I've seen a lot of 'old' photos recently and their similarites just jump out at me. YaYa's baby pictures could pass for Lump, and she and Smiley share so many features and expressions, while LuLu shares traits with them all.

Appearances aside you can look at the pics and never doubt which child is which. In each of their photos there'sa ray of their personality shining through. There are  many traits and expressions that are there right out of the gate and come through every day even now, so many that you will never fully convince me that 'nuture' overcomes 'nature' in a human being.

Gawd, I'm down.

* * * *

You may recall that quite some time ago I mentioned that my parent's were in a legal dispute with my Uncle over my Grandmother's estate. No details here, but suffice it to say they lost and the house was forcibly put on the market. Late last month I got a call saying it had been sold.

This is the house I grew up in from '77 to '96, the house my Mom grew up in, the home where both my Grandpa's passed away, a house where many of the family's memories reside. And in one week it will be gone, in the hands of someone outside the family for the first time in more than a half century (longer, if you count the step-relatives of my Grandfather who lived there prior to them).

In many ways I'm glad to see the family move on. For every good memory, and there are thousands, there is a more recent memory to muddy the waters. Certainly the fierce fight over the house did no favors to thememory of my Grandma and the bad blood it created appears to be permanent.

The neighborhood has also slid downhill. I'm not very suburban, and resided in what many people consider a 'bad' neighborhood for years, but there are times when my Mom's block makes me nervous.

They are also, to my knowledge, the last of the Polish/German families who worked so hard to build the neighborhood (both sides of my family worked on the house and many in the area). With their departure it will be solidly Mexican up and down the block. Not a bad thing, mind you, but a marked departure from the block where my Grandparent's would converse with their neighbors in Polish. The city moved on, and now so will they.

I spent several hours today at the house, and for the first time I started to mourn the building.  I have plans to spend those last hours of the last evening of the last day with my family, sharing a meal in the same place we celebrated so many birthdays and holidays.

Jesus, I'm depressed. I think I may just tear up, and I am not a crier, the last time I shed a tear being when my Grandma passed two plus years ago.

I'm sure I'll write more on this later.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you my friend.  So sorry that your childhood house has become such a bone of contention and is now almost gone.  

As your summer has passed, know that you have gained some new friends in J-Land, and we are here for you.  May our entries bring you some joy, or at least a few smiles :o)

Anonymous said...

((((Dan))))    Hope that helps alittle.
                                                                                      :)  Leigh

Anonymous said...

Oh I know...I want to start a petition for longer summers! Your kids can be the first to sign! My students start Monday also.

So sad about the family feud. Many times they fight in court so much they end up not getting anything after they pay the attorneys. The attorneys are the ones that make out. I know the last day I got to be in the house I grew up in for almost 30 yrs I went through every room & remembered memories & thanks the house for being so good...especially since the house was going to be reworked. They made it into a double story! Amazing! Does not look like it did at all. I suppose that may be better...can't keep going by & see "my home" with other people in it. I go by where my grandparents lived from time to time. The area has changed also but my grandma's house is baby blue now & that was her favorite color so somehow I think it is ok. It seems like when they came a whole neighborhood of Polish people were trying to make a life...now it is doing the same thing but just with a different cultural & ethnic background...kinda full circle idea. Maybe that is ok then.

Anonymous said...

Dan, I think it's natural to mourn a part of the past, whether it's your family home or the summer you just spent with your children. I hope that you will remember the good rather than grieve its departure. Sending you a hug, if I may, because you sound like you need one. :)

Beth

Anonymous said...

I can tell how this is tearing you up inside.  Change is hard but you have to remember that it wasn't the house that made the memories...it was the people in the house that you loved and enjoyed.  It's really sad that the family muddied the memory with the arguing over it.  Feel better...this too shall pass.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that your childhood home has slipped away from you... and I'm sorry that it's caused a family feud.  I know that you will be able to find comfort in your good memories.  Nice to have a last family meal, there.

Joann

Anonymous said...

I am glad that the final part of that dama is finished with Dan. Although it is hard .  No wonder you were feeling a bit low last night.  I think it would be a good idea to have one final family meal at the old house say a proper goodbye to it.  I hope whoever has bought it will have as many good memories as your family have had in it.   Love for now  Sybil x

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

No one likes change and the passing of memories, I'm sorry to hear you were down.....I know in time all things do work out, so hang in there...Lot of love

xxxxoooo

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Having to sell the family home sucks.  We went through that a few years back with my grandmothers house.  So many years of memories, all of the generations that passed through it...lots of good times to remember.   And now it will seem all that much more important when you're making those memories in your home now.

you take care and take it easy~
~Bernadette

Anonymous said...

If they're going to shorten summer for our kids, why don't they just go to year-round school. There's so much more information to be stuffed into children's heads these days. Also, what with "play groups/dates" for kids to "socialize" them and all the many, many activities that parents seem to think their children MUST attend, many urban children don't have any unsupervised "kid-time" anyway....

Sorry, I slip into rant mode too easily.

;^) Jan the Gryphon