google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The College for Kids Play

Search This Blog

Monday, August 4, 2008

The College for Kids Play

Last Friday was the final day of College for Kids. For the finale we were given handmade invitations to attend their theater performance of 'The Three Billy Goats Gruff'.

That night as I tucked YaYa in she began to cry. "My play sucked! There was no music for my dance and people forgot their parts. It was embarrassing!"

"Yeah," I said truthfully. "It wasn't the best, but none of it was your fault. And you know what? Once I blog about it no one will even care. All they're going to do is say 'oh how cute YaYa and LuLu are' and smile. I guarantee it."

Sure, I could have told it was a grand play. But she was there to see it wasn't she? Why lie? The room was cramped and as hot as summer asphalt with ten fewer chairs than audience members, there was no music for an extended dance number, the dialogue was inaudible, much ofthe cast hemmed and hawed and acted shy, a screaming toddler  drowned out the opening narration, and the costumes were half-baked. 

Worst of all, I brought the best snacks for the after play social, and mine were dollar store cookies for Pete's sake!

[that's a lie. There were some great brownies]

We got there early and stole some chairs from a neighboring room to seat ourselves.

Lisa was braving a horrendous toothache that day. That's my Dad and two of my nieces off to her left.

LuLu played the evil cat of an evil witch.

YaYa was a cat. Her dance was entirely made up of moves from her spring recital.

At the end they all sang a song and held up a banner.

And that was that.

Here are the girls with some of their pals

Then we had the after-theater social.

My sister was at the play too - I tried to include the photo near the top of the post but it wouldn't take.

Even the baby had a snack!

* * * * *

Afterwards we laid on the grass and waited for the inside of car to cool off before loading up the kids. Danged if there wasn't a cloud that looked just like a rubber ducky.

Once we were in the car we remembered leaving the girls clothes behind, so YaYa and I ran back. When we left the building Lisa was nowhere to be found, so she and I repeated our cloud-watching for a good 10 minutes until Lisa spotted us in the traffic and picked us up.

Despite the production value, a very fine afternoon indeed. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awe, Ya Ya made a cute Cat!  She looked adorable!  Thanks for sharing the photos.

Hugs, Rose

Roses are Read Journal

Anonymous said...

'oh how cute YaYa and LuLu are'  (I'm smiling really big)...  Great photo's and the girls look adorable.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Neat pictures, and it doesn't matter how the play went, it will give them good memories and let them know how important it is to try to do their best....

Looks like you had a good time

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

what a disappointment for YaYa when she realises when things are not as they should be...she is such a great little actress...It does seem that it was not a very well thought out display...At least everyone tried I suppose.   Wouldn't mind some of your sunshine. I think maybe our 2 weeks of almost summer has come and gone it is absolutely tipping down this morning and I had planned to go into Bath but as I don't exactly want a "bath"  I don't think I will lol.   Love Syil xx

Anonymous said...

Ah... the pictures are so cute! :)  I agree.. no reason to lie.. our kids really can handle truth with kindness and you were certainly kind.   Estela