google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Sad news from the world of fiction July 7th

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 7, 2005

Sad news from the world of fiction July 7th

I know I haven't posted much lately, but between big events at work and a cracked tooth that picked the holiday weekend to flare up (God forbid I have a dental emergency when offices are open) I've fallen behind.

Even so, work continues - er, has resumed - on my novel, and maybe I'll post a taste of it here on or on my other AOL blog, The Season.

Meanwhile the search for gainful employment outside my current field continues . .

But sad news today demanded at least a short post. I know this seems insignificant in light of the terrorist attacks on London, but writer Evan Hunter - better known to millions as Ed McBain -  died today at the age of 78.

The news rocked me as McBain is one of my favorite writers and the author (under his true name) of one of my top 10 books of all time, The Moment She was Gone.

No doubt I'll post a proper appreciation for the man in the days to come, but I wanted to spread the word.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Novelist Evan Hunter, better known to many readers as the Ed McBain who wrote the 87th Precinct novels, has died of cancer at the age of 78, his agent said on Thursday. Hunter wrote more than 100 novels, short stories, plays and film scripts during a period of 50 years and under different names, selling more than 100 million books worldwide.As McBain, Hunter is credited with pioneering the police procedural genre with the 87th Precinct series that includes more than 50 titles.Hunter helped Alfred Hitchcock adapt the screenplay for the 1963 film ``The Birds''.. . He won the Mystery Writers of America's Grand Master Award for lifetime achievement in 1986.
Evan Hunter was 78.
  

 

 I'll miss his work.  

No comments: