google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Revelations of the Daleks

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Revelations of the Daleks

Again, needless violence,  which really does seem to be the hallmark of the 6th Doctor's era. I see the value in not pretending people don't get hurt during these adventures, but is Who the place for realism? And violence is probably an ill-chosen word in the post. It's not violence so much as. . . I wouldn't say a sexual enjoyment of pain, but a misplaced joy all the same. There is too much glee at the recreation of suffering.

I'm told the episode was a reaction to hysteria about violence on TV at the time.  I'm not analyzing it in contemporary political context because,  frankly,  I'm unaware of all but the broad strokes of UK history of the '80's.  But having an enraged,  spurned woman stab her oblivious boss *and move the plot not a cm* seems an odd sort of way to make a point that violence wasn't glorified on the telly.

 The main story was straightforward and interesting,  but was bogged down by a slew of subplots. I loved the guest stars, but as is my norm,  I could have skipped the Daleks.

No comments: