google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The Baby Birds in our Backyard

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Baby Birds in our Backyard

A few years ago my wife bought me a wooden bird feeder for Father's Day. It was a gift straight out of left field, but to continue the baseball lingo, it was also a home run. It remains one of the most enjoyable gifts I've ever received. Just this afternoon I walked out on my front porch and had a handful of birds, a rabbit, and a squirrel flee from the feeder at the sound of my approach.

"It's like a scene from Enchanted" I told the kids, and you know, it really was. Heck, even Milwaukee's own McDreamy (moi) was there.

This summer I added a homemade birdhouse to the mix. We even painted it to match the house colors.

Sadly, no bird chose to make it their home. No, instead they chose to infiltrate my shed and set up shop atop my ladder.

I was going to remove the nest but when I tried I saw a blue robins egg inside. So it stayed, and every time I need something from in there I have to put up with a squawking, dive bombing bird.

This morning Lis sent me out to photograph the eggs (from a respectable distance to avoid ticking off the momma) and I got a shock - the nest was now full of baby birds!

The momma sat annoyed on a nearby telephone wire with a bug hanging from it's beak, waiting to feed her young. Meanwhile the kids were thrilled

whereas half of me was proud of our contribution to wildlife conservation, and the other 50% of my brain was ticked off that these squatters aren't paying rent.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful...over here it is said that you get good luck if a wee bird decides to share your "home"...so think of all that good luck that is coming your way.  Good photographs as well. That is a bonus. Often you can't get neat enough..if t hey had been in their "own" little house you wouldn't have had such a good view.  Love for now  Have a good week  Love Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

What fun and great photo's too McDreamy.  Perhaps your birdhouse is not secluded enough.  I think I would move it to the shed...lol.
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Aww, too cute! I can always tell when the fledglings start leaving the nest, because we get an increase in birds hitting the window. Seems they don't have that whole flying thing quite down pat yet.

By the way, I love Smiley's Spiderman outfit. He looks quite buff!

Beth

Anonymous said...

What a surprise and a treat :o)

Anonymous said...

could they be any cuter?!  i think not.

~Amy