google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: On Rain and Motherhood

Search This Blog

Monday, June 30, 2008

On Rain and Motherhood

Man that Lump's a light sleeper. She was sound asleep when I tucked YaYa in and crept down the stairs. I made one little peep and she was on her feet, head leaning over the crib rail to look at me, a wail starting in her throat. She looked just like those little birds yesterday, and just like I did with them I walked away.

Never wake a sleeping baby, and if you do, run like hell.

* * * *

It's official. June of 2008 is far and away Milwaukee's rainiest month in recorded history.

As of this morning we took in an official 12.27 inches of rain, beating the old record (set in 1917) by more than two inches.

Is it any wonder a lot of this city was flooded in recent weeks? It was dry today, but rained yesterday and more is expected before the 4th.

Keep the ponchos and sump pumps handy.

Milwaukee's 10 rainiest months

June 2008 - 12.27 inches
June 1917 - 10.03 inches
June 1997 - 9.98 inches
Sept. 1941 - 9.87 inches
May 1933 - 9.56 inches
Sept. 1961 - 9.41 inches
Aug. 1987 - 9.05 inches
Aug. 1986 - 8.82 inches
Sept. 1872 - 8.72 inches
Nov. 1934 00 8.56 inches
Source: National Weather Service

* * * *

For the record: I do a lot with my kids and I try to be a good and active Dad, but I blog (naturally) from my own experiences. I am with the kids from 4:30 until their bedtime most days, and a lot of those days I'm not the only parent around.

My wife, on the other hand,  is with them from 7 am until bedtime, with her only respite being when she goes to work a 'real' job in the evenings, or when I can con a set of Grandparent's into taking one kids off our hands on a weekend (God forbid we ever get rid of all four).

She's the one who is the girl scout leader, and plans the parties, and takes them to the park and the pools, and soothes their scraped knees.

Not me.

So hats off to her, she does a great job.

Now, back to praising me . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

your so funny Dan... luv yah Sue

Anonymous said...

Thanks hun, that was really sweet. I love you very much, Mrs Slapinions

Anonymous said...

Oh you are a GREAT Dad !!!  Brillliant even !!!wonderful maybe !  sorry run out of accolades for you !!!!!!

The weather is surely changing everywhere Dan, Same over here we had so much flooding last year fairly near here and believe it or not some of the poor folks are still not back in their homes..they have taken so long to get dried out and most needed to be stripped down to the bare walls and replastered etc and so many needed done that there were not really enough tradesmen to do them all there were so many throughout various areas of England.  And as for summers ? well we are still waiting for ours to arrive...we have had the odd day full sun today happens to be one of them they say it will even be hot..up to the low 80s' but as yesterday it was only in the high 60's one can never know what clothers to put on !!   Love for now  Sybil x

Anonymous said...

I think it's obvious to anyone who reads you for a while that despite your occasional "kid rant," you and Lisa are wonderful and caring parents. There, I praised both of you at once!

Beth

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that you recognize what your wife does for the family.  Most husbands just take it for granted and never even notice.  Hat's off to your my friend.            Joyce