google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Election Results and Vacation Plans

Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Election Results and Vacation Plans

My wife and I took the kids with us to vote, as we often do, and afterwards my wife asked me why I didn't just mark a 'straight ticket', as I'm pretty sure I'd vote for Howard the Duck if he had the right letter after his name on the ballot.

The answer's pretty simple: I get a thrill from voting, and marking each race individually gives me a little 'ooo' factor and makes me feel more involved in choosing the winner.

And it reminds me just how many races are dominated by a single candidate of a single party. I don't care if the other person is running as a Whig, there should always be at least a token opposition, some choice to present the voter.

[fact: figuring out how to spell the print form of widely used human sounds such as ' uh hmm' 'oooo', etc has always, always been a thorn in my side]

Locally, Doyle earned another four years to line his pocket (thanks a bunch dpoem, j/k), the gay marriage referendum passed (meaning it may soon be constituionally outlawed here) and voters were in favor of the death penalty, something I myself (while a proponent elsewhere) was not comfortable with in my home state - I voted no to that one.

Nationally, despite a booming stock market one news source wrote

eight in ten voters called the economy very important to their House vote, and those who said it was extremely important - about four in ten voters - turned to Democrats.
 
Whatever.
 
So the Dems take the House, and damnit, I'm leaving the country.
 
No, really - I am.
 
In about 29 hours my wife and I and our girls  will be leaving for three days in DisneyWorld, to be followed by four days at sea on a Disney Cruise ship, with stops in the Bahamas and Castaway Cove.
 
Parker will be staying home, splitting time with our parents.
 
It's our first real vacation as a family (or 4/5ths of one) and my first vacation since my honeymoon 10 years ago, if you exclude weekend getaways.
 
I'm taking my laptop along so I might post once or twice on board.
 
[By the way, the trip was paid for in large part by my tax return. With the Dem's now in control, I guess you can prep yourself for Slapinions' "007 Family Vacation to the Local Public Library 'Cause This Lower Middle Class Family is Paying too Many Taxes thanks to Nancy Pelosi"}
 
Oh yeah, we're leaving on the 2nd anniversary of Slapinons. I reckon I'll get to that post once I return.
 
See you later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your timing sucks, Dan.  I mean, it's great that you're heading of on a Bahamian cruise, but the weather here in Wisconsin is actually somewhat tolerable.  What are you going to do when February rolls around and you're buried under two feet of lake effect snow (aside from laugh at me for living by the lake where I'll probably get five feet)?  

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your vacation!!
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind
http://adventuresofaneclecticmind.blogspot.com/