google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Mr. Polk's War

Search This Blog

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Mr. Polk's War

A week or so ago I finished reading "Mr. Polk's War: American Opposition and Dissent, 1846-1848" by John H. Schroeder. This was a book I bought at a UWM library sale years ago and finally crossed off my TBR list. 

It's a story of the domestic opposition to the Mexican American war. It's a work strongly influenced by the era in which it was written (early '70's/Vietnam) so you have to allow for some bias in his POV, but overall I thought it was well written and informative. 

I will say it'd be a hard book to follow w/out some prior knowledge of that war, as Schroeder dang near *ignores* the war itself while still referencing domestic reaction to those events. 

I'd grade this a pleasant B+

No comments: