google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Truman's Memoirs

Search This Blog

Monday, March 11, 2013

Truman's Memoirs

 I'm more than a 100 pages into the first volume of Harry Truman's memoirs, and so far I'm not impressed. To date, he seems woefully miscast in the Oval Office, full of blind hero worship of FDR and insistent on the status quo at a time when the situation in the field was changing by the hour. The worst thing, IMO, is that even at the time of the writing (1955) he seems perfectly content with first being briefed about the atom bomb thirteen days (!) after assuming the Presidency. I also have difficulty liking a guy who calls the Foiles Bergere "disgusting". It's early, and there's much of history and memoir to digest, but my whatever the outcome on the job he did I have a feeling I wouldn't have liked him very much in everyday life.


edit from 2022: I actually remember liking the two volume memoir, even if I thought his politics were bunky. It must have picked up the pace a bit after this post LOL

No comments: