google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Death of the Messiah

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Death of the Messiah

Recently I finished the 877 pg 1st volume of the late Fr. Raymond E Brown's "Death of The Messiah". It is an in-depth, parallel exegesis of the Passion narratives of the four Gospels. Put simply, Brown takes each 'act' of the PN and examines each verse of the Gospels side by side. He breaks down the grammar of the original language, the narrative thrust of the segment, the theological and christiological intent, the literary technique, and then analyzes it for verisimilitude and historicity. It is a daunting book to tackle (forty pages in I realized I had to highlight each page as I went to stay in the game) but well worth the effort. As with his "Birth of the Messiah" I found myself engrossed in Brown's work and admiring of his skill. If I had the resources, I'd own a copy of each of his works. Soon, on to Volume 2 . . Grade: a resounding A+

No comments: