google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: On Transformers and Fashion Designers

Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

On Transformers and Fashion Designers

I was embarrased when I opened my Netflix envelope to find a copy of the Transformers movie. Not only was it a movie my wife would never sit and watch with me (and I was in a togethery mood) but it was bound to just plain SUCK. When the opening credits include the word "Hasbro" you know you're not going to be watching the next Schindler's List.

But boy was I wrong. It was a good movie, and for an action movie a VERY good one. This is especially true if you fast forward the ridiculous 'let's hide the 30 foot robots from Mom and Dad" scene that was included for comedy (despite the fact that at that very moment the fate of a planet was at stake).

I still say the Go-Bots were better toys, but once again the Transformers wins with a better plot.

Overall an A- . Well done.

* * * *

Project Runway Season 4 is now two weeks old - three if you count tonight's episode - and I already can't stand that obnoxious Christian

As far as episode two goes, you can't tell me that they cut Marion over Christian for pure design reasons. Christian is admittingly just 'better TV.

Elisa is pegged as a kooky-earth-chick, and rightfully so, but I like her personality and I really liked her week 2 design.

Carmen is soooo '80's . . and that tear-fest in week 2 . . Puh-leaze!

and speaking of crybabies Ricky needs to stop the tears, seriously.

Victorya is boring, win or not.

Chris is a household fave here. He seems like a nice guy, plus he's fat, which makes him a kindred spirit.

Jack . . not that there's anything wrong with it, but could he be more flaming?

Jillian: I can't remember a single thing she's created, honestly. Personally I find her physically unattractive and that awful dress she wore at the start of week 1 . .yuck!

Rami. Nice, sophisticated style BUT . he's already a decently successful designer. Shouldn't all these folks be amateurs of a sort? I mean, this ain't the Olympics, but still. .

Kevin So far his big contribution to the show is his claim to heterosexuality. Whoo-hoo. Congrats. Now design something we'll remember.

No real opinion of Kit

Steven is a fave of my wife's but I find his personality dreadfully boring.

Sweet P . .dumb name, too many tats, a bit long in the tooth to start out in the biz . . but all that aside she seems like a good designer and for 46, decently hot.

Simone was cut in week 1 (sucka!) and Marion in week two. I liked the guy, and so did Lisa.

And as always . . Tim Gunn rocks. Make it work people!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting that you like Project Runway....Never thought...Interesting....

Anonymous said...

Hey...when I went to my folks for Thanksgiving with the ouchie foot up my brother came by he had the transformers movie & said "you gotta watch this" now I knew my female cousin went with her 3 sons & said she liked it so that helped & I forgot he has gotten me into the Die Hard movies (have to still see the most recent though) and Ladyhawke I liked...older but your wife will like it with the romance idea...but I really did like Transformers & I think your wife might too. There were a few places it could have been better but I liked it. Then again my dad really liked "Because I Said So".

Anonymous said...

I saw Die Hard or Live Free the other day and enjoyed it, but it had some flaws. Not the superhero stunts - those were expected - but the inclusion of the daughter in the plot. She had no purpose. Think about it; she shows up at the start and announces that she hates her Dad. Why? What has he done? You never find out and she vanishes, only to show up much later in the plot as a cheap motivation for his pursuit of the bad guys. BUT . . . he already has his motive. He had that conversation with the hacker about doing what he had to do because there was no one else to do it. It was important enough to reference again later in the movie, remember "that makes you THAT guy"?? He is who he is because it's what's right The only real explanation for the daughter is as a cheap throwback to the plot of the first movie.
I liked 'Because I said so' tho' largely because Mandy Moore made me tingle. I never realized she was so attractive.