google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Eight Years On

Search This Blog

Friday, September 11, 2009

Eight Years On



Today is the eighth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. I don't think there are any major events scheduled to mark the date, and I'm fine with that. Stress the 'big' anniversaries, of course, but in years like this have faith in your fellow Americans; know that they'll bow their heads at some point in the day and remember the lost.

Man, that was a awful day. Words will never be able to describe it. Still, as recent as it feels in my head, I have to stop and remember that each and every one of my kids had yet to be born when the towers fell, yet my oldest is now in third grade. That seems crazy.

Time runs away from all our memories, the good and the bad.

* * * *

I'm not planning in any way to politicize the anniversary, and I wish others would do the same. But while I'm not angered by the following headline on MSNBC.com, I am left shaking my head: U.S. Muslims Fear Backlash for 9/11

If the need exists to run with a 9/11 headline - and does it? - there are better avenues to explore. Why run an article in which the interview subjects admit nothing much has happened to them because of 9/11, then or in the eight years since? How is that news? And why run such an empty piece under a fear-mongering headline?

Why, even on 9/11, is there such an obsessive need for some news agencies to find fault with the American people, and our character - to the point where they'll even massage a story to create an angle?

When the towers fell Lisa and I were living in a predominantly Muslim apartment building. It was the two of us, a middle aged white guy across the hall, and a building of Pakistini, Saudi, and Palestinian families. We exchanged cards on the holidays, we asked about each others families, and we shared meals (yes, even goat).

I wrote the following on the fifth anniversary of the attack:

For days [after 9/11] my neighbors would not step foot outside their doors, fearful of retaliation. In the end we knocked and offered to buy them groceries. My wife embraced one of the women and told them not to be afraid, that we didn’t hold them responsible.


It wasn't long at all before things were back to normal. No one threatened them, no one harmed them, no one treated them any differently, nor did they feel compelled to change their own way of life.

I'm PROUD of the way my country treated our Muslim population in the wake of the attacks, as we all should be. Somewhere, at sometime, was someone cursed at or even threatened? I'm sure. We are a nation of 300 million people, and not all of them angels. But we, AS A SOCIETY, reacted with compassion and understanding.

Not for one moment do I believe there's another country that would have acted as well when embraced by the dark emotions that day inspired.

Anyway, I just needed to get that off my chest.

To the victims of that day: Rest in Peace.

6 comments:

Bernadette said...

Well said Dan...well said.

krissy knox said...

Dan, first let me say I'm glad I found your blog.

Then let me say this is one of the most beautiful posts I've seen for today. A fitting tribute to those who lost their lives on 9/11/01, to their families, to our great nation or America. You wrote what it was REALLY about. May others STOP demonizing America. It was WE Americans who were attacked that day, and we who died. It was many of WE Americans who helped each other out with bravery and heroism, and then WE Americans who forgave, even though it was about our people losing our very lives.

Anyway, thank you for a beautiful post.

Finally, now that I found your blog, I wanted to know if you would add it to our directory of blogs called From Jland To Blogger. It is a directory I created so that we could all keep in touch with one another -- know where each other's blogs were. Thanks!

PS Found you through Mary's blog (of FrankAndMary fame). She is listed in From Jland To Blogger.

krissy knox :)
follow me on twitter:
http://twitter.com/iamkrissy
my main blog:
Sometimes I Think
Hey, former AOL bloggers, please list your blog in our directory of blogs:
From Jland To Blogger

Bridgett said...

Wow...how old is YaYa? I was pregnant with Parker on that fateful day in 2001...and he's only in 1st grade. Then again, we didn't let him start kindergarten until he was 6.

It's been on my mind all day. I'm antsy, sad, and in complete shock that 8 years have come and gone.

As for the fear-mongering press, that's something that's been a real bone of contention with me for years. I hate the way the media makes stories out of nothing and then chooses to makes it even worse by fear mongering to the masses. It's pathetic and shows just how lacking in integrity all the news agencies are now.

I love that you and Lisa embraced the Muslims in your building and offered to buy them groceries. I knew I liked you guys for a reason. :)

jeanne said...

There is nothing more I can say, your bloggers have said it all. Well done.

Anonymous said...

From FB: Eric Bor- and Stephanie K- like this

Anonymous said...

On FB: Mary Dantz likes this post