google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: On the crybaby Giants, the upcoming Obama speech, and why you shouldn't cook a frozen pizza at night, at least in this house

Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

On the crybaby Giants, the upcoming Obama speech, and why you shouldn't cook a frozen pizza at night, at least in this house

Most people who know me would say I was full of sh*t on this point (and many others), but I have a very competitive personality. 99% of the time its buried deep, but man, does it ever rise to the surface when you're talking about sports.

Today, word is that the Giants are p.o.'d over the home run celebration by Prince Fielder. Wah-wah.

Hey, it would pi*s me off too, if the shoe was on the other foot. But I'm a fan, and I have no say-so in the outcome of a game. My impotence would be the source of my rage. The Giants on the other hand . . .well, let me quote Dayn from a comment thread on Baseball Think Factory.

Maybe the best walk-off celebration I've ever seen. My stance--within reason--is that if you don't want to see the celebration, then don't lose the game.


Amen brother. Amen.

* * * *

A whackadoodle night. While we were preheating the oven to cook a late-night pizza some crumbs in the oven started smoking. The smoke traveled up the back stairs, hit the smoke alarms, and pandemonium reigned. Ginger was crying, Smiley was clutching his ears, LuLu slept through it, and YaYa was annoyed. We never could silence the hardwired alarms, and so I was forced to cut the power to the second floor (and remove all the backup batteries from the units) or continue to wake up the neighborhood. Dear Lord are they LOUD.

Did I mention LuLu slept through them, and YaYa stirred only to register her annoyance?

I tried flipping the power back on later but the alarms rang again. We'll hunker down in the dark like savages overnight, then try it again in the morning.

* * * *

I've read the text of the Obama speech and find nothing to object to in its content. It's all standard fluff, but well written standard fluff. I noted it had plenty of the Jimmy Carter "I was born poor but now I'm President!" anecdotes, but that's ok in this context. If they have indeed scrapped the Orwellian classroom activities, it's kosher.

I still don't know if the school(s) my kids attend will play the speech. I've asked the offspring and they have no clue. I'm betting none of them will see it. Smiley because his class is too young and has special needs, and the girls because their school is not a hotbed of Obama-love. But again, I have no direct knowledge and could be way off.

* * *

I promised Lisa to offer my opinion on socialized medicine, and I haven't been putting it off so much as been distracted by other subjects. I'll try to publish that in the next 48 hours, along with a long-overdue comment on the Left's awfully convenient obsession with labeling anything anti-Obama as racist.

3 comments:

Bernadette said...

So much for late night snacking.
Ahhh! Our smoke detectors are somehow all connected...if one goes off, they ALL go off! ..and there's one in every room upstairs.

I bet Pey will see the Obama speech. They did a mock election last year..and since she's a 5th grader, they'll probably watch it.

I never worried about the speech or content. Seems like everyone became a conspiracy theorist when it came to him talking to school kids...it's kinda funny. I don't see any harm in it, and how cool that the kids get a message from the president, I bet they'll be excited about it.

...heck, in my day in elementary school we all gathered around the TV and watched the challenger explode! ...talk about traumatizing kids.

Sarah J said...

looking forward to your socialized medicine comments. Opinion on Barrett and MPS?

Bridgett said...

Good point, Bernie! I still remember watching that poor, doomed Challenger mission. That was awful.

I just feel...Obama-lover or Obama-hater, the speech was okay.

And eeekk! about the alarm. I can't believe Lulu slept through it. LOL Then again, I'm sure my hubby could do. He's dead to the world at night. If anybody broke in and decided to shoot me in the head, Doug would probably never know until noon the next day. Grrrr.

XOXO