google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: My Thoughts on the 2016 Primary

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

My Thoughts on the 2016 Primary

 Today's voting day in WI, and I'm at a loss. I'd vote for John Kasich, as he's the only GOP candidate left I'd like to see in the White House, but let's get serious: he's not going to get the nod. I could vote for Cruz, but it'd be nothing more than a vote to try and knock off Trump. I have no affinity for Cruz as a candidate. I could cross the aisle and vote for Hillary Clinton, in part to keep Bernie Sanders from tasting victory, and because I do think she's a capable politician that would talk Left but govern Center. I honestly haven't made up my mind, but I do think it's down to Kasich or Clinton on my ballot.

Another quandary in the vote for Mayor. I like Mayor Tom Barrett as a person, and think he's done a great job revitalizing downtown and sections of Milwaukee. Nor would I decide on a single issue, even one as head scratching as the trolley project. But as far as I can tell he's all but ignored the North Side, his cozy relationship with the Police Chief has accomplished nothing to reduce violent crime, and I've heard nothing to suggest a change in the future. Milwaukee could use a new voice in the office, but while I've worked with Bob Donovan once or twice and think he's a capable alderman, I don't see the man having a strategic vision for the city, or the tactical skill to pull epic changes out of his hat. My vote, somewhat regretfully, will be for Barrett.

For County Executive, my vote will go to Chris Abele for Milwaukee County Executive. I think he's done a capable job with the tools on hand, and he hasn't been afraid to make politically unpopular decisions. Meanwhile, his opponent (my State Senator) is one of the nimrods who fled to Illinois a few years back, and was somehow elected despite confessing to shoplifting in college. And yes, disagree all you want, but if you steal at 21 you're not committing a youthful indiscretion, you're just a thief. I don't want him in an office that's ALREADY featured one of the biggest scandals in local history.

No comments: