google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The Star Wars Prequels

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

The Star Wars Prequels


This past weekend, taking advantage of LuLu's Disney+ membership,  I rewatched the Star Wars prequels for the first time since I saw them in the theater during their orihinal run.

My opinion? I think they are far better than I gave them credit for originally.  Perhaps my expectations were too high, or my distaste for the suspiciously ethnic JarJar and Trade Federationists rendered me ill-amused.

Overall,  THE PHANTOM MENACE is a fine introduction to the last years of the Republic. Too much CGI, too much JarJar, and too little subterfuge as to the identity of the future Emperor, but quite fun.


ATTACK OF THE CLONES has Christopher Lee (albeit Christopher Lee stuck with the character name of Dooku), and that by itself was enough to make it a hoot. Beyond that I thought it was a good entry in the seties - but alas, not for one second did I buy the Anakin/Padme romance. Forget the Sand People war crime, the guy  whined so much he routinely sounded younger than in the first film!

I liked REVENGE OF THE SITH the first time around and Iiked it now. Solid filmaking, a nice mix of humor and action, and of course,  the Faustian bargain at its core. I'm not sure the latter is completely sold to the audience, but it was stunning to watch unfold anyway. 

All in all, not a bad trio of movies at all 

No comments: