google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Attack of the (ineffective) November Hornets!

Search This Blog

Thursday, November 10, 2022

Attack of the (ineffective) November Hornets!

It is November 10th, 2022, and I spent my lunch sitting on the patio at work, blissfully enjoying a 74 degree day. 

That alone is remarkable: November, almost mid-November, and it is warm enough in Wisconsin to sit outside without a coat or long sleeves. Wow. 

(Although a cold front is moving in that will restore us to a stereotypical November by this time tomorrow),

Alas, my meal featured numerous attacks by hornets, also a rare sight this late in the year, hornets who seemed as irked by their unusually extended life as I was. 

This guy in the picture was unusually aggressive, refusing multiple efforts to thwart his advance on my drink. In fit of manly courage I swatted him, knocking him to the ground, then stepped on him. Sometimes a 700x size advantage helps. 

Immediately, however, his buddy dive bombed me, looking for payback. I swung my plate at him, meeting him halfway. There was an audible "thonk," like a tennis ball hitting a racket, and no more was seen of the pesky but loyal-to-his-brethren hornet. 

So endeth the tale.



No comments: