google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Tavolino

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 3, 2022

Tavolino

 




We - meaning me, Lisa, and Lisa's bestie, dined tonight at Tavolino, a restaurant on Milwaukee's East Side. 

The decor was simple and clean, with a modern slightly-more-than-casual vibe. For appetizers we shared polenta con funghi, aka polenta with mushrooms, and an order of meatballs (on the menu as polpetta di carne). 








Both were ample and delicious, although I prefer a meatball with a firmer texture. 

A small loaf of bread and olive oil was served before the main entrees. No complaints there. Yum. 




For dinner Lisa chose salsiccia - spicy sausage, nduja, ricotta, Calabrian chili oil, and rigatoni. 





It was genuinely spicy - and, in my opinion, the best dish of the three entrees. 

JJ ordered spaghetti and chicken breast - I don't recall what sauce - and both women agreed the breast was cooked perfectly. *I* wasn't allowed to try it. Hmph. 






For myself, I ordered the pan seared black cod in a pomodoro broth with leeks, carrots, peas, and fennel. It tasted great, but I would have preferred Lisa's dish (esp at only 2/3rds the cost of mine!)



Dessert was a lemon semifreddo that was brought to the table with three spoons so we could share; a laughable gesture by the server as it was the size of a free sample at Costco. None-the-less, the four molecules I had tasted wonderful. 



If there's any complaint I can register it was the service. The server was very pleasant and knowledgeable, but seemed to disappear for long stretches, and the wait time between courses was unusually long. Neither can be blamed on a packed house. While it was busy when we  were there, it wasn't crowded by any means. 

A very good dinner, and a very nice time. Recommended. 



No comments: