google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Help me Identify this Spider-Man Issue

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Help me Identify this Spider-Man Issue

As a kid,  I loved a stand alone issue of one of the Spidey titles so much it inspired me to write a letter to the editor. Please help me ID the issue!

It would have been in the mid '80's (say 85 to 87?) and featured a melancholy Spidey thinking of Gwen on what I believe was the anniversary of her death.  Meanwhile a 3rd tier villain with a whip robs a bank, and when Spiderman intervenes he's so distracted by his grief that he finds himself trapped beneath some rubble and being choked to death by the bad guy.

Thankfully the memory of Gwen inspires him and Spidey rises to win the fight,  mercilessly pointing out to the villain how unimpressive he is compared to his traditional foes. 

Does it ring any bells?

No comments: