google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: The Father's Day Hike at Hawthorn Glen

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2022

The Father's Day Hike at Hawthorn Glen

Last night Lisa suggested I take Smiley on the annual Father-Son Father's Day hike at Hawthorn Glen.

"It's important to keep the tradition alive," she said. 

 I thought for a moment. It had been cancelled because of Covid in 2020 and '21, and now Smiley is a 6'3" man on the verge of adulthood. 

 "The tradition is dead," I said.

 Naturally, the first thing in the morning I was gung-ho and we headed right out LOL!

[I called my friend Tre and invited him and my Godson at the last minute, and they jumped to return to the annual event!]

Sadly, I apparently can't read a schedule, because the hike was SATURDAY, not today. Oopie. 



It didn't matter of course. The .75 mile nature trail has a self-guiding tour, and even if it didn't it's all old hat to us. So off we all went. 


There were a few new things. Some planned, like this observation deck (which was still waiting for stairs) and others unplanned, like a tree that had fallen across the trail.

This pile of sticks reminded me of "Eeyore's House" from our old hikes in Downer Woods :)

As always, Hawthorn Glen was beautiful, and the weather was perfect.

Smiley even pulled some wild onion for our dinner (don't worry - on every previous hike, the host encouraged us to pick some)

It was a great way to kick off Father's Day, and I'm glad we kept the tradition going another year!

No comments: