google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: Very tired - hoping for coherency

Search This Blog

Monday, August 18, 2008

Very tired - hoping for coherency

I just finished my submission for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Community Columnist competition.

I've come up short in 2 of the last 3 years, skipping one year for good measure. I only found out about this year's event from my Dad on Friday. I balked at the short notice, noting that the deadline was today.

"I guess that means you won't do it, huh?" he said.

That innocent comment is the sole reason I wasted a Sunday night painfully pulling words out of the air. It just immediately annoyed the heck out of me and lit a fire in my belly.

I don't think I'll fare well. It just didn't 'flow' tonight, the construction was awkward, midway through one column my research proved faulty and I had to rework it back to the bare bones  . .

[I just deleted a few paragraphs of excuses and low-confidence ranting.]

We'll see, and hope for the best. Keep your fingers crossed.

* * *
A very good day with the kids Sunday, much better then the smooth surface/rough undertow the kids provided me on Saturday. A genuinely happy, fun day where I kept my patience intact and the kids were reasonably nice to each other. We spent a few hours helping my sister with a rummage sale, including running a lemonade stand and taking some batting practice (more on that later). Then later in the day with Lisa at work I took the kids, my goddaughter, and one of YaYa's friends [the neighbor's kid - not 'that' neighbor] swimming. Although Smiley tossed my glasses, flash drive, and watch in the pool on a lark, it was otherwise a great evening.

In between I took my bike and rode it to the post office and back, which made me very happy.

Ah, yes, one more thing. I twisted my ankle chasing after LuLu at the rummage. It hurt bad for awhile, then went away for hours before returning this evening with a vengeance.

Say what you will, these sorts of injuries never happened when I spent the day in a recliner eating bon-bons.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good Sunday and good luck with the column :o)

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the column...

Sorry about your ankle....would an ace bandage help?  

If you sit in a recliner eating bon-bons all day, you would get lazy and then you would have no fun with your kids, or further grandkids  

Is your flash drive still working?

All in all you sound like you had a great day

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

I hope you get chosen for the column! I read the rules, and sounds like a fun gig--write a column for a year! That's the kind of thing that could really get some notice....Good luck!

If your ankle is still hurting, isn't it 15 minutes of cold followed by 15 minutes of heat? Some ibuprofen would also lessen the inflammation. Hope it's better today.

Take care,
Beth

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the column, that sounds like all kinds of fun.  
Let me know when your not using the recliner.         DB