google.com, pub-4909507274277725, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Slapinions: 25 Years Ago

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

25 Years Ago

25 years ago today I sat in my parent's living room watching boxing on HBO. Mike Tyson was fighting in Tokyo and I remember them showing clips of him chasing pigeons in the streets. Then they ran a segment on Buster Douglas. When they mentioned that his mom had just died I thought to myself that with that driving him he had a chance. Maybe. Just maybe.

And then it happened.
Round after round Tyson's brilliance dimmed under Douglas's assault. When the champ finally hit the canvas I literally screamed for joy, earning the wrath of my parents.
25 years ago today. Damn I'm getting old.
Also that day Nelson Mandela was released from prison after nearly three decades. That was certainly a more important event for the world as a whole, but it's the Tyson fight that has stayed with me for the last quarter century.

No comments: